News: September 21st, 2019, The Tinyportal team is pleased to announce the release of ~~ TinyPortal 1.6.4! GET IT NOW!!!

Login  |  Register
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

December 12, 2019, 10:54:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 189280
  • Total Topics: 20775
  • Online Today: 70
  • Online Ever: 629
  • (November 08, 2018, 01:36:54 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 57
Total: 58

Author Topic: quick question (Athlon 64 related)  (Read 6200 times)

gerrymo

quick question (Athlon 64 related)
« on: January 13, 2006, 09:08:41 AM »
I am planning to build a new PC. I plan to use twin Athon 64s in it. However, a mate thinks XP wont recogise the 2nd processor. Will they both be recognised and utilised? No point buying the gear if not.

PowerPyx

Re: quick question (Athlon 64 related)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 10:08:02 AM »

windows xp will recognize both cores of the cpu... about the util... thats a bit different... windows itself will use both cores but not most of the apps do that. So you have to look on the featurelist of a programm you want to use if its take benefit of the dualcore. If not you can try via taskmanager to bind an app to one of the cores.

PowerPyx.

PS: hope you understand my english ;)

Offline Ray

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 11:09:30 PM »

windows xp will recognize both cores of the cpu... about the util... thats a bit different... windows itself will use both cores but not most of the apps do that. So you have to look on the featurelist of a programm you want to use if its take benefit of the dualcore. If not you can try via taskmanager to bind an app to one of the cores.

PowerPyx.

PS: hope you understand my english ;)

He is right - having 2 CPU and software that only will use one CPU is a wast. 2 CPU are great on a server setup computer running apps like exchange etc. - spend your money on a faster CPU and more memory and a serial hard drive and have a really fast computer

Offline Skhilled

• Beta Tester
  • Once you stop learning, you stop living!
    • Doc Skillz
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 11:26:26 PM »
I agree. And not just more memory but faster memory. You might also want to invest in a faster motheboard also. This can make a vast improvement in speed, if you don't aldready have one. nVidia-based boards are very fast unless someone has a better idea.

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance!

gerrymo

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 03:51:05 AM »
Thanks guys. I'll look into the costs etc. Havent bought any of it yet execpt the CD drives.