TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:45:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,173
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 319
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online

A Little Advice Please

Started by borgBOB, March 15, 2005, 12:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

borgBOB

I have installed Tiny Portal on my SMF forums, (I have 2 seperate installations)

I had been using Mambo Open Source for my main Portal,  but would like to remove this excess bagage.  My 2 smf installations are in my root directory
named www.mypage example/SMFexample1 and www.mypage example/SMFexample2.  That is they are in the "www" folder, named as
"SMFexample1" and "SMFexample2".  I would like my main web index to point to SMFexample1 and would create a sub-domain for SMFexample2, or possibly use an "add-on" domain for "SMFexample2".  This board is not in full use yet, so the issue of domain resolving is not important, I could also just re-install
"SMFexample2" to somewhere else on my server if needed. I am in the process of aquiring the Domain name for the second site, so I can puplicly release it.

Bloc, can I have 2 installations of SMF with Tiny Portal running at the root level of my domain? And still have them easily accessible to the public as seperate sites?

Any help anyone can offer is appreaciated, if these are issues you had not considered yet Bloc, sorry to open a new bag of worms.

Bjørn

It should work fine, as long as the two versions have different databases. SMF can use diferent prefix and share the database, but TinyPortal has it set to tportal.xxxxx. They would probably clash if they share it.

borgBOB

Well, both work now. Just wonder how the point www.mysite to www.mysite/SMFexample1? Can this be done in Tiny Portal? Both have seperate MySQL databases. 

Would it hurt  TP os SMF if I renamed this folder from /SMFexample1 to /example1?

Bjørn

About redirecting, I would use .htaccess or just a html file for that. TP exists inside SMF, so to speak, its at the same location as the forum really.

If you rename the folder, use "repair_settings.php" file from the download section on simplemachines.org. Its easier to change all the necessary paths in that(just click and go).

TP will just follow SMF so if thats fine, TP will be fine.

borgBOB

I did not have to rename the folder, just set-up a re-direct on the host.