TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 04:11:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 112
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 32
  • Total: 33
  • @rjen

Questions about TP

Started by Nefastus, February 11, 2009, 05:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefastus

I'm working on an MMORPG community website and since I use SMF forums, I'm interested in using TinyPortal as the CMS. Before I decided to use it, I have a couple of questions.

Can I create separate pages for articles? I plan on having a number of users write their own column/blogs on my website, and I want to make sure they have their own unique pages for articles. If yes, can I assign users their own access to their column pages?

Does TinyPortal require a separate theme or does the SMF theme incorporates itself with TP?

G6Cad

Yes, you can create separate pages ( articles ) and show as single pages, with or without sidebars, header, footer etc.

Yes, TP uses the same theme as SMF, you can however show other installed themes for diffrent articles or pages ( need to have more themes installed )
But yes, a theme installed to SMF adapts to TP on auto, TP does not hold it's own template

Nefastus

Thanks!

I did a wipe and a fresh install of SMF and TP and all looks good but I'm having a couple of problems.

www.TheGriefer.net

I cannot find a link or option to actually view my forums. Where do I find it or add it?

G6Cad

AH, custom themes require you to add a forum button manually to the index.template.php file for the theme.

Copy the home button code, and rename the actions to forum, and the txt to ['tp-forum'] and it will show up

Nefastus

www.TheGriefer.net

I changed the theme to default and I still doesn't work the way I thought it would. It shows the forums on the bottom of the front page, when I was hoping SMF forums would be separate. The top Menu has Home and Forums but both link to the front page and second one shows Forums on the bottom of the page.

Is there a way I can have Forums the normal way, as a separate page. Sort of like here?

Petee

Panels and Blocks. Hide panel when in forum.  Also, if you want articles like you described, you should have installed version 0.98. The 1.0 series is bugged too much to get what you want.

ZarPrime

Nefastus,

Welcome to TinyPortal.

In your Admin section, under TinyPortal, you can hide the panels in the Forum if you want to.  You just need to do a little experimentation to figure out what looks best for you.  Though there are some bugs in articles in TP version 1.x, they can be overcome if you are patient and do a little reading here and in the bugtracker.  In any case, they have been fixed for the next release of TP which will be available soon.

It might also help you to do a little bit of reading here in our documentation area (menu item at the top) and in the docs board here on TP.

If you need any specific help after reading through the docs, tell us what it is you can't figure out and we will help you.

ZarPrime

Nefastus

Thanks, all works great, but I seriously can't find the solution for the next problem. I followed the instructions and added "forum" to the Hide panels when in custom actions, and it works.

http://thegriefer.net/index.php?action=forum

Now, if you click on a specific board or a post, it still brings up the panel.

http://thegriefer.net/index.php?board=1.0

Now, since that's not an "action", I do not know how to turn off panel view completely while in the Forum. I even thought that maybe since General Discussion is used as the display forum for the TP, if I made another Category/Board, those would work normally without Panel showing up.

Is there a way I can completely disable panels while in the forums? Right now they still show up when I access any specific forum/post.

IchBin

You don't need to add forum to custom action. You can simply go into the panel settings and turn off the panels while in forum. Take a close look at all the settings and you'll see it.

Nefastus

What do you mean I can do it while in the forums? Do you mean I can Minimize the panels? If yes, than I'm aware of that, but my goal is to have TP as the frontpage and forums work separately without any panels in any posts.

I'm right now looking at the Settings & Frontpage options in Admin panel and I see nothing that will disable the TP view in the forums.

The only thing I came closest to was to add forum to "Hide panels when in custom actions" under "Panels and Blocks" which ONLY hides the TP while in the http://thegriefer.net/index.php?action=forum

Ken.

Do this:
Admin>TinyPortal>Panels and Blocks>Panels>... you should see controls for each of your panels.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

G6Cad

agridoc

Quote from: Petee on February 11, 2009, 08:33:07 AM
Panels and Blocks. Hide panel when in forum.  Also, if you want articles like you described, you should have installed version 0.98. The 1.0 series is bugged too much to get what you want.

Nefastus, as you are new to TP I will agree witth Petee. A quite debugged version of TP 1.0 is not far away, however it would be easier to work and learn TP with 0.9.8, it still has the features you request. Later on you upgrade to a stable version of TP 1.0.
  For Greek aeromodellers and our friends around the world  - Greek Button sets for SMF