TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 03:15:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 112
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 55
  • Total: 55

Moving database

Started by Hugh Jorgen, July 04, 2006, 04:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muldoon

Ok, my concern is, with my old/current database with all the posts etc. is that when I copy it over to the new database, it will wipe out Tiny Portal since I'm overwriting this new database with the old one. Earlier in this thread it is recommended that someone should download a copy of the database and then open it in a text editor and use phpmyadmin to upload the bits you need eg smf_members etc. So if this is the way to go...what are the 'bits' that I need to upload to maintain all members/posts/pm's, and whatever else I need that I'm not thinking of...

akulion

As long as the versions of SMF do not differ between the 2 forums and the versions of TP do not differ between the 2 sites there will be no issues.

In fact when the versions are the same its as easy as just uploading a fresh SMF and doing a Database restore and then running the repair settings file to fix the paths.

Always remember - with the exception of 'custom themes' and mods everything else in TP and SMF IS the database. So as long as you have a full DB backup, u can get ur site back up within mins even if u accidently delete all the files

Muldoon

Well, I guess I don't know what to do then, because my old database runs SMF 1.0.7 WITHOUT Tiny Portal, while my new database (where I want to move everything from the old messagebard to) is SMF 1.1 RC3 along with Tiny Portal.

I don't know what to do...

akulion

Dont worry - its very easy

Go to simplemachines.org and go to their downloads section and get the RC3 upgrade package and run it - it will upgrade the whole forum system. Then u can easily transfer it.

Also do a search on SMF for 'repairsettings.php" or "repair.settings.php" (cant remember the exact name) thats the file u will need to repair all the paths for ur DB and forum once on the new server / domain

Oh and dont forget: always take a backup!

Muldoon

Thank you so much Aku. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it turns out.

Muldoon

Well the upgrade went well. And the transfer went great! Now I need to do some trouble shooting over at SMF about signing in, since some are signing in and it takes them to the old board.

Aku thank you so much!!!

akulion

yup thats where repair settings file comes in - it fixes ur "forum paths" for everything including database and files - welcome :up:

Muldoon

Everything seems to be in working order...thanks again!

http://www.thethirdoption.net/smf/index.php

akulion

oohh nice that theme suits ur site

thats a "fixed width theme" so not usable by a lot of sites which need wider displays - but fits urs perfectly :up:

welcome

Muldoon