TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 04:27:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 59
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 50
  • Total: 50

Moving database

Started by Hugh Jorgen, July 04, 2006, 04:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh Jorgen

Ok i tried at the SMF forum they said try here, I have two forums on my server. The first forum is active with members and posts, the second was for testing and adding mods, i now want to move all my members and posts to the new forum. how can i move members and posts?

I tried pointing the second forum to the first database but it just duplicated my first forum for me and lost all my mods and locked me out.  :tickedoff:

so anyone got any ideas?

I have made a back up from the first forum, so if you can tell me a way to use it so i only get members and posts back that would be fantastic..

ANY IDEAS  ;)

Techdomain

yep - you need to download a copy of the database open it with a text editor, and use phpmyadmin to upload the bits you need eg smf_members etc.

it may be easier to remove some of the mods, as that will mean less chance of incompatibilities.

Hugh Jorgen

well the only mods i got on there now, since i lost my last forum is TP and some themes for TP.

Do you know where i can get a text editor for the DB back up, I can't open it as its a gz file?

Avinash

Quote from: Hugh Jorgen on July 04, 2006, 04:44:26 AM
well the only mods i got on there now, since i lost my last forum is TP and some themes for TP.

Do you know where i can get a text editor for the DB back up, I can't open it as its a gz file?
Maybe import it into a new db in phpmyadmin, and then re-export it without gz compression.

Hugh Jorgen

ok that looks like that might work. ok i have taken the table members from my first forum database, you think i should just drop it in my new one.?

Techdomain

most compression tools should be able to do a .gz file...

you will need to do more then just the members... matter of fact, it will be a little work...

one way to do it is to export using phpmyadmin to export just the data, not the tables themselves - that will cut the size down heaps. if you can (and you should be able to) you will need to use the "replace" tag instead of "insert"

you should be putting in all the data except the ones that are specific to the mods...

whatever you do, make a backup or two, that way if you get in strife you can put it all back and try again.

Muldoon

Hey guys, I could really use your expertise right now. As above, on my server, I have my current database and then I recently set up a new database with SMF 1.1 RC3 and TP.

Current database/messageboard:
http://www.thethirdoption.net/forums/index.php

Test database:
http://www.thethirdoption.net/smf/index.php

What I would like to do is move all the posts, members, etc to this new database but I've been digging through this messageboard and can't seem to find specific guidelines. Is there anyone out there who could possibly walk me through is? I've been in phpmyadmin before, but don't really understand it or databases all that well.

I would really, really appreciate it.

Muldoon

Lesmond

Sorry but you didnt look too well there is loads of post here and on smf about moving forums/database.

here are just a few

look at this Topic it is 25 page long though

this on SMF in the docs

Muldoon

Ok thank you for the link.

My question is though, if I follow this:

You now need to import the database back into the new server. (It's actually on the same server though)...If I import the old database with the posts/members, etc. will I lose all work I did with Tiny Portal already on the new site, since it is a mod for SMF, with its current database?

JPDeni

All of the TP stuff that you wrote is in the same database as SMF. If you export and then import the database, your TP stuff will be part of it.