TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 07:32:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 128
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 53
  • Total: 53

TinyPortal and future

Started by Nolt, May 29, 2013, 12:26:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nolt

Hello TP users :)

We love TP right? Of course we do, but I'm little afraid about future of TP. Quite long time ago we hit gold version but what now? Do we have any goals to move forward with this miasterpiece portal modification? I hope so cuz our competition (portal mods) do not stand still with developing and we must make another step.

What are your thoughts about TP future?

sangham.net

Much mental support and also other, as far as it is useful from my side.
Wish to see it turning. Tiny, tinier, real huge.

Thanks for your great work and may you always find needed motivation in good work and never lack on it lost in unwholesome moods.

Truly! So strive to be one of them. Or like to get a random Sutta?

If you like to get involved in helping developing an "Virtual monastery" to make the internet a little more accessible for Monks, Nuns and Ascetics, please feel heartily invited to join our bilingual community at sangham.net

lurkalot

Quote from: Nolt on May 29, 2013, 12:26:42 AM
Hello TP users :)

We love TP right? Of course we do, but I'm little afraid about future of TP. Quite long time ago we hit gold version but what now? Do we have any goals to move forward with this miasterpiece portal modification?

This might answer your question. http://www.tinyportal.net/index.php?topic=35166.msg280828#msg280828

sangham.net

Lurkalot,

Ohh... it's not good and wise to make ones future dependent on others (speculators and fearful observer are most like candidates of stomach ulcer or depressions) . So what about the next great step of co-developing the Stand-alone additions with easy SMF connecting switches as an alternative with a free way to just walk on?

If you like to get involved in helping developing an "Virtual monastery" to make the internet a little more accessible for Monks, Nuns and Ascetics, please feel heartily invited to join our bilingual community at sangham.net

lurkalot

Quote from: Johann on May 29, 2013, 06:43:25 PM
Lurkalot,

Ohh... it's not good and wise to make ones future dependent on others (speculators and fearful observer are most like candidates of stomach ulcer or depressions) .

:o  Johann, I haven't a clue what you're trying to say.  ???  I was merely pointing Nolt to a post.

sangham.net

I know, lurkalot , and that was the reason for the conclusion and "wink", since I am just an outside reader without special "background" information. So just what is visible and readable.

Quote...whats happening these days with TP...

Quote... Kind of waiting to see what happens with some SMF forks before proceeding with any changes....

Quotewhats happening these days with TP...

And my suggestion in regard of "What are your thoughts about TP future?" was: Shake such of and step on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4Qyg4AZ_F4
Hey drafts, hey drafts... gogogo!

IchBin

With my time being extremely limited on being able to code in my free time right now, I'm not going to update the portal much without much evidence of where SMF is headed. They are really going down the wrong path IMO, and I see nothing but a dead end for them. However, Elkarte.net is going pretty well over there with their fork. If they are able to get to a good point and start releasing a beta, then I may just as well port TinyPortal over to it instead of SMF. TP's code is open source now. Anyone can update, fork, or re-use it to their content. If someone out there wants to step up to the plate for updating it with SMF they are free to do so. For now, I'm waiting to see what happens in particular with Elkarte. TP could use a major over-haul to come up to standard with what they are doing at Elkarte though...

bloc

I think Johann's suggestion is to make TinyPortal independent of SMF - or any other fork of SMF and just connect with them. Not sure if its worthwile doing, as the code relies heavily on the backend that SMF provides. Those would have to rewritten then, and possibly changed for any other forum/fork.

The future of TP is probably in getting forked itself , and maybe merged with other SMF forks. The coding is in need of improvement though - some of it are over 7-8 years old. On the other hand..some of the ideas i put into it, could use further development. I am just not sure if anyone is willing to go down that road..for myself I moved past many of the goals for TP, although some are similar to what I am working with in other projects.

Sadly, SMF is now in lack of really dedicated people, and I am not sure how that can end any other way than SMF becoming stagnant.

sangham.net

Quote from: IchBin™ on May 29, 2013, 08:59:33 PM
With my time being extremely limited on being able to code in my free time right now, I'm not going to update the portal much without much evidence of where SMF is headed. They are really going down the wrong path IMO, and I see nothing but a dead end for them. However, Elkarte.net is going pretty well over there with their fork. If they are able to get to a good point and start releasing a beta, then I may just as well port TinyPortal over to it instead of SMF. TP's code is open source now. Anyone can update, fork, or re-use it to their content. If someone out there wants to step up to the plate for updating it with SMF they are free to do so. For now, I'm waiting to see what happens in particular with Elkarte. TP could use a major over-haul to come up to standard with what they are doing at Elkarte though...

Dear IchBin,
as a "just visitor" I recognized a lot of "running after a better" but at least such would simply destruct the potential which is if available if one takes the "burden" and stick to the mother as good as possible.
One must be aware that voluntary work and generosity is something fast disappearing in our world but that should be a additional reason to stay with it against the stream. Don't think that even if a software is open, there will be many to stay in line and develop it further in a way the "founder" did.
To be kind of conservative and stay this the "old" needs actually a lot of liberal mind setting, if we look more exact.

How ever, I understand such problems and therefor the suggestion to simply walk on with what is internal useful to develop and keep it open in all direction. So a standalone release would be not out of benefit in all cases, for example.

Nobody has time except one takes it. That is actually no excuse but simply a matter of personal priorities.

Quote from: bloc on May 29, 2013, 11:53:48 PM
I think Johann's suggestion is to make TinyPortal independent of SMF - or any other fork of SMF and just connect with them. Not sure if its worthwile doing, as the code relies heavily on the backend that SMF provides. Those would have to rewritten then, and possibly changed for any other forum/fork.

The future of TP is probably in getting forked itself , and maybe merged with other SMF forks. The coding is in need of improvement though - some of it are over 7-8 years old. On the other hand..some of the ideas i put into it, could use further development. I am just not sure if anyone is willing to go down that road..for myself I moved past many of the goals for TP, although some are similar to what I am working with in other projects.

Sadly, SMF is now in lack of really dedicated people, and I am not sure how that can end any other way than SMF becoming stagnant.

Dear Bloc,
yes and now. Independent further intern development, dependent and in respect to the on the "mother". Everything else would be a paradox of "Sadly, SMF is now in lack of really dedicated people". It's important to seek the possibilities and the place to work in his own area and within one self.
Forking there, bridging this... actually (from what I have seen) nobody has anymore overview and deep knowledge and the whole software issue is a problem solving by putting an additional overlay and next layer in the surface. Today the word de-veloping is generally misunderstood. That is the heartwood of "Simply" and "Tiny". I guess it makes no sense to follow the 6,7,8D levels and this angles and gods will soon fall down on the earth and understand that a higher level need extremely more resources and food and will be difficult to maintain. So general, I would not worry about fast pop ups and "developments", they are soon back or lost.
People often asked me, why I walk and never take a ride. It's not easy to understand that a even a jet can never be so fast as if one simply walk, if one counts honest and all.

But those are just general everywhere reasonable hints and of course have their particular problems in many details. But if the intention is set rightly and the course is set, problems here and there are no issue at all and simply daily work.

Smaller, simpler, moderate and flexible in all directions. At least all that software is for those who like to overcome simply consuming and learn what development is about.

Nolt

Really sad to hear this :/ TP was built for SMF and should stay in that way, I think we - TP community - will lose lot of users if we focus at forks rather than original SMF development.
For me forks should be an option for TP not primary target, idk guys if you check or test SMF but 2.1 is in good shape. People made thousand of forks just because SMF is open source now. Lot of forks already died... in near future there will be lot of forks without any good support. You think its a good way?ofc not.