TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 01:26:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 112
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 45
  • Total: 45

what version of SMF are you using?

Started by alving, April 23, 2010, 08:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lesmond

For the record it was me that locked this topic, I in my ignorance thought it was getting out of hand, I should have thought more, and I publicly apologize to all concerned!

IchBin

Not a problem Les. I think you did what you thought was right, and it didn't harm anyone IMO.

bloc

Agreed.

Ok, I had some thought about this and what JPDeni said did make an impression, so I think having all past TP versions available is perhaps just as well.

About the SMF 1.1/2.0 dilemma ..thats a really tough one, because for any mod developer its two separate scripts, in both features and code. In TP I have used a intermediate database routine to be able to update for both without too much hassle, but the optimal is using the correct db routines. I have stopped making SMF 1.1 themes for the same reason and I think alot of newer mods also doesn't.

So should one support SMF 1.1 too? Are there enough interest around for it yet, thats the big question. And strangely it is..when I just searched Google i got this:

"Powered by SMF 2.0"  -  12,200,000 results
"Powered by SMF 1.1"  -  750,000,000 results

A huge proportion still using SMF1.1. But it can also imply that many awaits a stable - as in final - SMF 2.0.

Crip

Put a poll up for it Mister? .. we all might be surprised ;)
I have become comfortably numb!

Cripzone | Crip's Free 2.0.2 Themes

bloc

Yeah, that might be a good thing. I'll set one up.

WillyP

I'm using SMF 1.1.11 and TP 1.0 beta3. I have been holding off uploading nearly a thousand files to the downloads section because I assumed I would want to upgrade and not sure if the result of many hours of cataloging all these files would be wasted. I created a test site for SMF2 and it looks like the download section is not affected.

From reading the SMF site, I thought I would like to switch over as soon as possible... why build a site on outdated code?

Reading this thread, I am not so sure.

Blue Steel

I' updated to TP 1.00 beta5 and SMF 2.0 RC3  (well all the steps right from 0.98 updated as they were released) I have never lost any forums , downloads , articles, blocks . Some blocks and articles have had to be edited. Add-on modules to SMF needed to be updated (again i never lost any existing data),

I backuped my whole site and DB's, I then reset everyone to the default theme prior to updating (always to make sure that no one gets locked out because their theme no longer exists when i delete / update themes) then i updated to thew latest SMF 2.0 rc3 (if you want to stay with smf 1.x then simply copy over the full dir's of the smf version your running.. must be the same version.. or you'll need to follow updating smf procedures.if your sticking with the same version simply copy all the files over to remove any changes mods have made. make sure you have a back up of any manual changes you've made). then add in TP as a package and follow install/update instructions. then re-install all your mods / themes that are compatible again.. then edit your blocks / articles as / if necessary to get them to work with the updated version. and manually re-add any manual changes you'd made if still applicable. and add in new themes that match your versions. (there WILL be some dead files that are no longer used eg: themes or old files that have now been replaced or incorporated into other files, you should be able to safely leave them unless you have blocks or articles that use them which you'll have to edit naturally)
  This is time consuming yes, definitely. Hard not really (unless you've made heaps of manual changes and don't understand the code and what you did.. (ie. you simply copy/pasted into original site what someones gave you. not really a good thing to do as any code that you don't understand could be doing anything to your site).

I had my site backed up (offline) and updated , (and all the old SMF1.x themes deleted) is less than 12 hours. I then spend about 2 hours re-installing the appropriate addons that work with my versions and editing blocks where necessary to work with the new versions.

thinbgs to note that in TP 1.0 beta5 things that I've found that will break blocks are appostraphies in names and or output(which i've read have been fixed in tp 1.0 beta 5.2 ), and index errors which are generally because of the way the language files are referenced. not much really. and blocks / articles that have content referencing old data from old mods.

I have about 20 mods/ addons installed some major some minor. and my site is now almost back the way it was. (except for the multi tabbed blocks .. this is because of my own lazyness of not (as of yet) editing the index template to re-add the java script required. its still on the site i just need to add it into the template/php file)

If you have any problems then search these forums (by now most problems have already been found and reported and have workarounds and or fixes out already or due in next release.

As for staying with SMF 1.x i can see that there are some reasons why sites don't want to update. due to feature changes etc..

However I see no reason not to update to the latest version of TinyPortal .. as it supports BOTH versions of SMF. This community is one of the most helpful I've seen in supporting their software, by helping others through problems they are having.

If you want to stay on older versions then thats up to you. but I can't see how you can expect to still be able to d/load older versions that are no longer supported .. (You should always keep a backup copy of anything you install on web sites as they do and will go down and loose data and files from time to time.. and the hosts don't guarantee the safety of any of your content.. the onus is on you to keep a copy of everything in case or when things do go wrong. and thats the only time that you'd ever need a copy of an old release eg: 0.98 is so old now as has been stated many times before in this thread.