TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 09:34:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 59
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 26
  • Total: 26

what version of SMF are you using?

Started by alving, April 23, 2010, 08:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPDeni

Quotei thought that most block codes will just work with the new versions of SMF and TP..

It depends. The ones that will have problems with SMF2 are the ones that access the database from the code. SMF2 changed both the functions that access the database and many (most? all?) of the names of the fields in the tables in the database. All of those things will have to be altered to work with the new versions. If your block codes just use SSI, it's less likely that there will be problems with the conversion.

My working version of SMF/TP is heavily modified and tweaked in order to get it to do specifically what I want. I incorporated most of these tweaks into a mod that I just added to automatically make the changes, but my mod won't work with SMF2 either. I haven't even started looking at what I have to do in order to get the theme that I want, which is a slightly modified version of the SMF1 default theme.

Crip

Your site looks good & clean Deni :) , the content within is interesting , but I know nothing about...Lol
I have become comfortably numb!

Cripzone | Crip's Free 2.0.2 Themes

JPDeni

:) Thanks, Crip. I have a pretty specialized niche of members, to be sure.

alving

QuoteTP 0.98 was excellent in it's own time but it was never totally stable and now it's getting quite dated, so much so that it's hard for us to help people anymore with it.  Basically, our support for that version has slowed down so much that we have pretty much stopped support for it.

is this the reason why tp 098 is not available in the downloads area?  or i just can't find it...

lurkalot

Quote from: ajg on May 04, 2010, 06:21:36 AM

is this the reason why tp 098 is not available in the downloads area?  or i just can't find it...

I asked a similar question here, http://www.tinyportal.net/index.php?topic=32085.10

To be honest it would be handy to have a archived version of TP 0.9.8 somewhere in on the download page..  Certainly would be more useful to me than having older versions of TP 1 beta 3, 1 beta 4, 1 beta 5, etc.   

SMF2 RC is only supposed to be used in a test environment, so is Coppermine Gallery 1.5.3 RC.  I have no plans to upgrade to TP 1 until these are stable releases.

Blue Steel

I think that they don't have an archive of TP 0.98 available as its a few versions ago .. they are now up to Version 1.00 bata 5-1 and just don't have the time or resources to support older versions when most of the bugs and questions additions requested are already incorporated into the latest release.
Can you imagine the hastle of having to support every version released.

lurkalot

Quote from: BlueSteel on May 04, 2010, 07:30:21 AM
I think that they don't have an archive of TP 0.98 available as its a few versions ago .. they are now up to Version 1.00 bata 5-1 and just don't have the time or resources to support older versions when most of the bugs and questions additions requested are already incorporated into the latest release.
Can you imagine the hastle of having to support every version released.

I can understand the the support side of things, but I wasn't suggesting any support as such.  Just an archived download of TP 0.9.8 for people who still use it  From an outsiders point of view I always considered .TP 0.9.8 to be one version, and TP 1 beta xx to be another.  I only see two versions. :) 

If for example I asked for support for TP 1 beta 3, my first bet would be I'll be told to upgrade to TP 1 beta 5.1 because it would fix many of the bugs.  So out of interest why have those versions on the download page?

IchBin

Why have those versions? Because you still need to support upgrading from those versions.

Lord Anubis

I agree 0.98 still IMO is great and less buggy, even if outdated (I even still use)

Plus there is still tons of posts here showing support for only 0.98 issues....

Ken.

With all due respect to all those site owners who still run, or still want TinyPortal v0.9.8... if we offer it as a download that will simply prolong the 'agony' and maybe even make it worse.
... imho, small measured steps are better than giant leaps.

TinyPortal v0.9.8 was great and I for one loved it, but at some point it needs to fade from existence and continuing to offer it as a download will not move that process along. It has been noted that some folks don't want to update because of all the Mods, or other custom features that are in place on their forums, but the plain fact is that older versions of SMF may have security issues, so it should be updated and to some extent the same holds true for TP... not because of security, but because it is designed with SMF2.x in mind and our support here needs to be focused more to the up to date versions of SMF/TP.

As mentioned, TinyPortal v0.9.8 is great, but imho the newer versions are even better and the change to those newer versions is well worth the effort, even if Mods and customs features add to the work of making the change.
Of course, if you still run v0.9.8 and like it there is nothing wrong with keeping it for a while, but at some point you'll need to make the change. My personal preference is to move forward while trying to strike a balance between 'rushing in' and 'lagging behind', in other words, test, test and re-test and then go ahead and make the move into the newer versions.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.