TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 09:30:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 59
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 29
  • Total: 29

what version of SMF are you using?

Started by alving, April 23, 2010, 08:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alving

just a question on what version of SMF you guys are using for TP v1.0 beta 5-1..  is it SMF 1.1.11 or SMF 2.0 RC3?  i have stayed with SMF 1 because of TP0.98.  i'm now looking at installing TP 1.0 beta5-1.  one of the post that was made here was that TP 1.0 was extensively tested on SMF 2.0.   i have no qualms in using a Release candidate SMF software as long as TP1.0 will work there better..  and it seems that more SMF mods are geared towards SMF2.0.. 

any comments are appreciated... 

thanks

lurkalot

I'm using SMF2 RC3 with TP 1.05b.1, but only on my test site. I also have Coppermine gallery 1.5.3 RC bridged with SMF.   These are all Release candidate versions and not recommended for use on a production site, with exception to TP which is beta.

On my live site I use the stable versions of SMF 1.1.11 bridged with Coppermine 1.4.26 and TP 0.9.8

ZarPrime

On my main site, at this time, I am still using SMF 1.1.x with TP 1.0 beta 1.  The main reason that I haven't upgraded to SMF 2.0 RC3 yet, along with the latest TP, is because some of the other SMF Mods that I use on that weren't ready for SMF 2.0 along with the theme that I have used for a long time.  However, now that most of them are becoming available for SMF 2.0, I don't think it will be too long before I go ahead and upgrade.  Also, nearly all of the block code snippets that I use on my main live site had to be rewritten to take advantage of the new DB calls in SMF 2.0.  It's a slow process but many of these are being done now.  When I do upgrade, I will go straight to the latest SMF and the latest TP.

A couple of the Team Members here have already converted their live sites to SMF 2.0 RC3, most notably Ken, and his site is working great.

TP 0.98 was excellent in it's own time but it was never totally stable and now it's getting quite dated, so much so that it's hard for us to help people anymore with it.  Basically, our support for that version has slowed down so much that we have pretty much stopped support for it.  I no longer have a TP 0.98 test site myself.  Though TP 1.0 beta 5 works with SMF 1.1.11, I think (hope really) that most people eventually go with SMF 2.0 RC3 (or later) because it's much easier for those of us in Support to be able to concentrate on one version.

I don't know if I've given you something to think about or just confused you more, but the bottom line is that, though TP 1.0 beta 5 will work fine on SMF 1.1.11, many of the features in it were written to take advantage of the latest features that are only available in SMF 2.0.

Sorry for the long post.  Oh, one other thing ~ If you are going to go to the latest TP, no matter which version of SMF you are using, TP 0.98 must be totally uninstalled and removed except for the database, which will be upgraded during the process.

ZarPrime

Blue Steel

I've converted my site to TP 1.0 Beta5 and SMF 2.0 RC3.

I wouldn't recomend it for everyone yet as there are still quite a few hickups
hopefully most of remaining hiskups will be sorted out in the next update

Remember that SM F2.0 RC3  still isn't the actual release.. its really just really a glorified beta.
and that TP is still in beta too.. (and always has been ..)

Ken.

While it's true that my live site is running SMF 2.0 RC3 + TinyPortal 1.0 beta 5-1 this is not recommended for everyone.

If you're like me and love to tinker with your site and fully understand the risks involved then you may be OK. Emphasis on the "May Be", because you can really damage your site if you don't have a fair idea of what you are doing and what the result of your actions might be.

My steps for what goes into my live site go something like this:
1/ A test site where everything is tried out first, including SMF & TP. (I actually have 3 test sites)

2/ Doing full backup's of the live site before trying to install or upgrade anything.

3/ Be prepared to start from scratch, including maybe even going back to previous versions of your SMF/TP... thus making the backup an absolute need.

And... there is plenty of great help to be had here on TinyPortal and on SMF, but in the end it is always going to be up to you as the Admin of your site to keep things sorted out and working correctly, so make sure you understand what you are doing.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

Mick

I've been using SMF since 1.1.1 and TP when it was RC3.

Now i have grown thru upgrades to the last state.

RC3 & TPb5-1

JPDeni

My site runs SMF 1.something and TP .98. :) I had started to adapt it to work with SMF 2.0 RC1 and after many hours work they came out with RC2 which was very different. Rather than start over again and waste my time, I'm sticking with what I have until there's a stable SMF 2.0, at which time I'll upgrade TP, too.

Lord Anubis

Still running SMF 1.XXX reason being, is I am using tons of custom code and templates...and tbh dont want to recode just yet

Planning on updating soon though

Crip

I use 11 / RC3 ./...many of them both + TP_098 :P
I have become comfortably numb!

Cripzone | Crip's Free 2.0.2 Themes

alving

these is quite an eye opening thread..  i guess i will stay with 11 and 98 for quite a while.. the thing with me is that i know nothing about php and smf coding..  honestly, ive been dependent on the help of a few guys here..  having said that, i think i will do an extensive test of SMF RC3 and TPbeta5-1 before employing it on my live site.. i thought that most block codes will just work with the new versions of SMF and TP..