TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 10:44:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 59
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 66
  • Total: 66

Donate Button Does Good

Started by lebisol, October 11, 2007, 10:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keith021773

I run the donation mod (paypal) on my site for the last 2 mths and I must say it helps alot.   I don't feel like I'm begging because I don't.    I even tell people that they don't have to donate.   But, donations help alot with the cost of the server and if more donations come in then there is a very good chance of me being able to buy something and have a giveway..  A "thanks" for donating and being a member.

I have always said that my site isn't about money, it's about helping dads... either by helping them with their problems about parenting or marriage or by just being a place where they can "hang out" with other dads..    But if they want to donate because they like the site, then that's great.  I appreciate it and when they do donate, I always send them a PM telling them how thankful I am and that it helps alot..

That's just what I think...

lebisol

Thanks people,
Devil pays well, so I am going to keep pushing.
You should not ask for donations if:
1. you installed csm/forum
2. purchased template
3. purchased a hosting plan

where exactly do you feel like the people need to give back?
for your desire to design? for the posts that other members post?

The question to ask 'before asking' is what do you give them as Host?

Just the other other day I stumbled across the site that had a header link to Section called "Help me maintain this site". LOL
Sure, I liked the photos but hey the author took them because she liked taking photos. Period.

Imagine if I invested over $150,000 into a custom race car (that now I can not afford) and then drove around with a sticker that said "Help me continue to commute in this car...if you like to see it on the road"
hmm how many of you would reach for the wallet?  >:D

Well, the point of the post is to see and have people give some thought of why certain things are on our sites. Is it because you (us) as designer like it or see function for it....or is it that deep down inside we hope to make money doing it.
I wish we had some marketing gurus in here to break a few things down. It is scary how much is invested in subliminal advertisements and what people see - do.

And a of course, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

IchBin

In some sense I tend to disagree lebisol. The difference in your analogy with the car, is that if you had a "help me pay for this car sign", you damn well better let me drive it. lol In the case of websites, its not totally dependent on what you offer IMO, but the fact that you put your time and effort into it and they are enjoying he fruits of your labors.

lebisol

Quoteyou damn well better let me drive it.
:laugh: :'( :laugh:
nice one, you made my day and you are right.

Zetan

I would hope if you were driving such a car, you would have Sponsorship.

lebisol

same can be said for the site...if you could afford to build it...you should be able to afford to maintain it.
"Devil devil is my name..." said Danzig LOL

2bz2p

When someone says the word beggar, it reminds me of being in Red Square, Moscow, Russia. While I was sitting there I watched a "gypsy" walk up to me and say no words, but rather point at her feet that had no shoes on them, point at her mouth, and point at her baby on her back. I being on a school type trip was told not to give any money to "gypsies", so I didn’t and as she walked away I watched her walk all the way across the square and get into a fairly new Crown Victoria and drive away, black one to be exact. So with that said if I was in this for the money, I think that I would make more money begging for it in some tourist trap area.

I state this because I would not beg anyone for money, it’s just not my style. But I do feel that if one of the members of the site, thought they should donate money for my time and expenses, then I am not begging am I, but receiving payment for services rendered, (if it were to be into a business Sense).

2B

Zetan

ahh.. Danzig!
I can afford to maintain it.. but I wouldn't refuse a contribution.

It makes no odds whether people donate, or not.. in truth. I wouldn't do it otherwise.
My site costs.. my stream host costs.. at this time, I can afford it.

I can live without a Donate button.. and I still don't consider it begging, though I can clearly see exactly where you are coming from.
A professional site should not need such a visable sign of needing "help".

Thats a choice made by individual sites.

lebisol

I think that last 2 posts sum up my personal stand the best!

p.s. @Zetan....wow HM...so long ago...my 1st vinal record was Motorhead then AC/DC (stolen from my brother hihihi)

Zetan

haha  ;D

Seriously though.. I use FREE forum software, as do you.. so what does that say?

For me it says that I love the freedom, the community and that I like to play..
It has nothing to do with money.. If you choose not to display a Donate button.. I'll go with that, I'm sure many established sites wouldn't openly.

All I'm saying is, if you feel you want to openly display a "Donate here, please, coz we need it" button, then, no site will survive on donations alone. It's really a choice..
I make no money from ads.. I know several sites that swear by having "No Ads"... thats their choice, I wouldn't personally use it as a tact to draw members..
Either you do, or you don't.. Server costs are irrelevant to be honest.. you have already made that choice to pay for server costs.