TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 04:14:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 112
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 39
  • Total: 40
  • @rjen

I need Your Help To Understand TP

Started by themoldbuilder, July 07, 2007, 01:27:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

themoldbuilder

Hello Everyone,

My name is John.  I have been trying to build my web site for about 2 years.
For a year and a half I have been using phpbb.

Over time I have found out that SMF and TP work great for me because I have no formal training in php, html, or computers for that matter.

I need someones help.  I am requesting someone take me under thier wing and guide me on my journey.

I love SMF and TP, I have built my website around it and with it.  I think compared to phpbb, you guys kick butt.  But I have a Problem.

I have searched for the answer for this problem in your forums, in your faq, and in your doc section, but I cant find the solution. 

I want to know how to navigate around my site that is built with smf and tp.  In my menu block I can only insert an article or a catagory or a header or footer.  How is this like a normal web site.  How can I put "page 2 " into my menu and actually show page 2.  How do I use this like a normal web site.  How do I use the menu block like a normal link block. 

If I want a page that describes our mission, How do I build it, and How do I link to it from the menu block?

I have searched all your files and cant find the answer.  I would love it if any one of you could help me out. 

Sincerely

John

tick

I would look and play around with the article manager.  Articles are essentially pages for your forum.  You can display them on the frontpage or have links to them from a menu block.To get the "pages" you want you can do this with articles

Nokonium

One of my sites is essentially a website with a forum rather than a forum with some extra pages, if you see what i mean. It was a conventional html site that I converted to a portal using Tiny Portal with the individual pages converted to articles.

You can title a menu item however you want and it doesn't have to have the same name as the article or link it relates to. I have attached a screenshot of the menumanager.

The menu options for a menu item are:

Category
Article
Link
Header
Spacer

The Link can be to any other url, a stand alone page on your site or another site.

The benefit of using articles instead of stand alone pages is that they will be fully integrated into the TP site and stored in the database. You can select display options to go with the article:

Show date
Show title
Show author
Show linktree
Show top
Show centerblocks
Show rightblocks
Show leftblocks
Show all articles in same category
Show links to other categories
Show comments underneath article
Allow to comment?
Do not collapse comments initially
Show number of views
Show ratings
Allow to rate?

It is easy to convert an html page to an article, copy and paste all the content between the <body></body> tags into a new article.

themoldbuilder

nokonium,

Thank you for your help.  I was able to understand this alot more.
I really like tp and smf.  I think they are great.  Your help was also great.  I would like to leave a link to my site so you can see my progress, But I dont want to violate any rules here.  If you would like to look at it let me know. 

I know you guys are busy so I wont be pestering you very much.

To the staff of TinyPortal, You Guys ROCK!

IchBin

We have a showcase board if you'd like to let everyone see your site. Follow the posting rules in the sticky in that board. :)