TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 09:30:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 59
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 29
  • Total: 29

New Project Idea

Started by JOSHSKORN, July 08, 2008, 10:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOSHSKORN

I'd like to get involved in not only learning PHP, but I'd like to be able to make and distribute mods for TP/SMF through your website.  Basically, I'm looking at creating one big package modification to include a few existing modifications, thus hopefully making the whole installation procedure a lot less of a nightmare.  I use to manually install a ton of different mods for SMF, and always seem to end up with bugs.

The reason why I'd like to make this a mod for TP, even though it might be able to exist as strictly a SMF mod, is that I feel it should be meant for webpages, and not just forums.  Here's a few ideas on what I'd like to include in my package:

• A chat system
  • Gallery
  • Arcade
  • Store
  • Paypal Donation System (like the one used at the resourcez.biz site
  • Customizable Member list
  • Rich Text Editing for Member Agreements
  • Fully customizable registration (adding questions, etc.)
  • Server Query and Administration
  • TeamSpeak Query and Administration
  • Ability to add blocks to your profile
  • Ability to control information showed next to post information (i.e. IM pictures, titles, display names, etc.)
I haven't really given this a whole lot of thought.  What comes to mind, is ease of installation with having one package.

I would need to learn the whole SMF system which I haven't done yet.

I can remember a member making a modified version of TP a year or so ago, something about removing the ability of one admin to delete another admin.  That's what I'm looking at doing, that is, making a modified version of TP.  I guess my question is, how does this work?  Are there licensing concerns or what?

G6Cad

I think your idea is gold :)  But with the constant development i think it will be more work then fun to make this happend.

TP are a mod itself, and now leaning towards a base with the "extras" added into it with modules.
So sort to speak, a "modmanager" with in the TP mod itself.

For the other mods and your idea, i think it's leaning more to SMF and the devs of these mods you list. They are free touse as is, most of them have and hold their own support, and some even holds entire support sites for the mods.
To make a complete package out of them weill need permissions from every mod creator.

I think your better off asking on SMF and see how the reaction will be :)

JOSHSKORN

One thing I also wanted to add...well I guess clarify, too.  I'd been able to implement a TeamSpeak viewer and a game query viewer by simply using code from the snippet area (php articles, I think).  Basically, I want this all built in through the administration panel, so basically the actual php mess code is stuffed away somewhere on the web host and all you see are input boxes (i.e. for teamspeak it'd be IP, TS Port, etc.).  Considering this is something you'd put into more of a website setting (in blocks) than simply forums, that's why I pitched the whole idea here.  I have no problems taking my suggestion over to the SMF forum.  I'll do that when I get a chance.  I'm interested in reading what other developers might have to say.

Zetan

You can develop whatever you like, as long as you are not re-distributing files.

There are the copywrites to consider. While the idea is a good one.. I have a feeling it will quickly dwindle to just that, an idea. Not wishing to poo poo the idea at all.. But you've already stated that you will need to learn SMF first. So, why not do that.. then come back with ideas and suggestions?

Have you looked into TinyPortals new Module system? Dragooons Reviews Module would be a good place to start.

IchBin

ZTN hit my thoughts exactly. You'd have to get permission to put all those mods into one. And another issue you'll run into, is that if you submit your mod to SMF they don't allow Mods of Mods. Good idea, but there's a lot of red tape to go through.

bloc

Yes..its a very tempting idea, but there are many issues. How to actually make all those mods install automatically and the re-distribution of them.

If anything..I would rather build a knowledgebase, where you line up what the sum of certain mods will be, provide a theme that support hem and the direct links to the mods. The user can then manually install he mods, and theme at last, then have his tried-out-and-working forum going. Maybe supply step-by-step settings info as well.

Its less than having all onboard, but do not rely on a super-package to be maintained. Which in itself will breach the SMF license rules. :P

Ianedres

I would rather have individual mods for each feature. As authors update their own code module, the site admin can decide whether to update depending on their current software version actually used.

Not sure what percentage of sites would want or need an all-in-one mod package that large as it relates to the administration overhead on top of the normal SMF; i.e. cluttering up the admin panel with multiple unused sections.

Good idea- just seems like too much trouble for what it would be worth.

JOSHSKORN

Everyone, thank you for you replies.  Again, it's an idea and as one reply mentioned, it may not go past that.  Considering this isn't anything I've ever wanted to do before, I had no idea about things such as licensing and 'red tape', to to speak.

Now that I think about it, making it such that an administrator has the privilege to decide which features to install, makes more sense, rather than overly bloating the thing.  As much as I'd like to have some sort of 'web install' for custom modifications (one single routine allowing the user to check which features to install), there's no way, based on the mods submitted that you can use the package installer to cleanly install every mod.  Conflicts are inevitable.  This is old news.  This is what planted the seed for my idea.

I will need to do more research on the newer version of TP.  I have seen a couple of the obvious differences.  I'm use to v0.983.  Yes, I'll look into licensing, as well, when I get closer to wanting to make this more of a reality.