TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 03:59:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 112
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 60
  • Total: 60

oh bugger its broken

Started by VWPowered, November 17, 2007, 09:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VWPowered

thanks peeps :) just about time i learned to leave things alone but need the site in french as i live here but am english so bi-lingual site would be a benefit :)

Zetan

Well, maybe you'll learn to backup before making major changes  :buck2:
My host does an automatic backup every evening. I have to catch it before a new backup is created, otherwise it will be backed up in the state it's in.

VWPowered

problem is im on a 1.8mbs mobile connection too doesnt help but waiting for my broadband box :)

defo agree with backup b4 major changes will have to look into that in more detail as there wont be a next time

Zetan

Luckily SMF does a backup when you install new packages with the package manager.
Not many people realise that.. It won't backup the database though, and it can't backup manual transfers.

If you are on a WiFi connection. Those backup files are quite large and will take a long time to transfer, even with a good connection. maybe just have a quick compare of the files first.

VWPowered

yep that worked guys thank you so much please continue the good work keeping us hopefulls on edge eagerly awaiting more...

now how do i install languages again but the correct way, have upload the files in themes/templates :=)

Zetan

un-zip the language pack and upload it to the Languages folder on your server.
I posted the path in post #3

I'm pleased you managed to fix it  8)

What did you do exactly?

Ken.

Quote from: VWPowered on November 17, 2007, 10:36:37 PM
thanks peeps :) just about time i learned to leave things alone but need the site in french as i live here but am english so bi-lingual site would be a benefit :)

I always say, "You can't learn anything without breaking it a few times." And as ZTN said... backup, backup, backup.  ;)
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

VWPowered

did what you said and downloaded the before_***.tar.gz file opened it up and replaced all the files inside over the ones currently on my server

now works fine everything back as it was before good idea the smf before package system

well uploaded the files to themes/default/languages but cant find them in the admin section the smf install is english would the files for that need to be updated to include french too

i do agree you have to break it to learn from it just its bugarsed annoying  :knuppel2:

Zetan

They should be there. make sure you downloaded the correct character set.. Guessing at French_utf-8 here.
Also try hard refreshing the page.

CTRL + F5 in your browser.

I've not installed many language files before.. so I'm not exactly sure how it all works.
I think it's correct though.

VWPowered

yes downloaded then from this site 4 files added them but upon investgation found that the default SMF software itself only contains english files so will have to look into updating the smf foruml software first to have the option of english or french then i'll try to redo the tp install :)

will keep you informed :)