TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 06:56:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 112
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 58
  • Total: 58

triangle buttons next to home button - reset to "up"

Started by iowamf, September 10, 2005, 02:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iowamf

Those are great advanced options to turn on/off the left/right columns of the portal.

However, I can see less advanced users turning the triangles down reducing their UI to a forum only - eliminating all ability to navigate the entire web page.

A potential solution would be if the "home" button was hit - both triangles would reset to "up" so the entire portal would be seen in it's default behavior.

Nokonium

With TP the Home button does that, which is why it installs a Forum button, unless I'm misunderstanding your point.

iowamf

Thanks - you are right for guests and "non" admin - my fault for incomplete testing.

I was using the "admin" id when I found that hitting the home button doesn't make the triangles reset.

I'm glad to see this alrelady built-in & agree with it not resetting the "triangles up" for admin - hey, if you can't recover the columns as admin - you shouldn't be admin!

iowamf

I'm still confused ...

I think in all cases when the "home" button is hit - both the triangles should "point up" so the entire portal is viewed.

Try it on this site:

If you are logged out, turn both triangles to point down & hit home - the right triangle changes state.
  If you are logged in, turn both triangles to point down & hit home - neither triangle changes state.

At the sake of being verbose, I think the safest operation would be to return both triangles to point up when the home button is hit so the entire portal is exposed (including all the navigation links from the home page).

Nokonium

'Home' is the TP front page. I suppose it is as broad as it is long, whether 'Home' should return it to just the front page or return it to the settings for the side/center/front as set in  TP Admin.

bloc

The reason it is like this, is that the arrows - or "upshrink" - is made to allow any member or guest to set it like that - and come back later with it still the same positon. The option of having those changed "by force" to be one state or another in frontpage, isn't available.

Also, while members will have it remembered next time you open the browser, guests will not. only for the current window.There is an option for admin to set the forum "upshrinked" - that is hide the bars when in forum. But you can't open them then, so its not exactly the same.