TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 04:03:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 112
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 47
  • Total: 48
  • @rjen

upgrading v 1.2 to 1.5.1

Started by brynn, August 08, 2018, 01:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brynn

Hi Friends,
Finally I'm about ready to upgrade.  I was going to do it just now, but the advice to take a backup first, hit home.  So after I get the backup (which can take several hours) I'll start the upgrade.

I have some questions about the info on the SMF mod site

1 -- In the red text at the top, it says

QuoteA previous version of TP 1.0 removed the downloads and images directory which will remove needed files for your site.

I don't understand the relevance of that, or what it has to do with upgrading.  I don't know if I ever had version 1.0 of TP.

2 -- Regarding the first red "Important" note, about not using the editor to make changes to any TP articles which were pre-existing to 1.5.1 -- geez, to be honest, it kind of makes me want to switch my TP articles to my SMF Articles mod system.

But anyway, when it says not to use the editor, what if we wanted to change something like the Viewing Options?  We can edit the article itself using a text editor.  But there are a lot of other options in the editor, and I don't think those can be changed with a local text editor.

Or is the new editor very different and doesn't have those options anymore?

3 -- About 1.5.1 being responsive and pressing Ctrl + f5.  Do you only have to do that if you have a responsive theme?  Or do you have to do that no matter what kind of theme?  What about members and visitors - do they have to press Ctrl + f5 too?

Thanks for your help  :)

@rjen

Item 1. Should not happen, but it is recommended to always make backups before installation no mods

Item 2. I have not had any problems with old articles, but if you have complex formatting some differences may occur. Just check the layout once you make changes . Same would apply when moving to other solutions.

Item 3. This would only apply if you are using a responsive theme, but the remark on the mod site is outdated. This was already fixed with 1.5.0 and a reload of a potentially cached css file is now forced automatically upon install.
Running Latest TP on SMF2.1 at: www.fjr-club.nl

brynn

Ok, thanks for the info.  Backup just finished, so here I go to uninstall 2.1.  Cross fingers.

lurkalot

Quote from: brynn on August 08, 2018, 06:46:19 PM
Ok, thanks for the info.  Backup just finished, so here I go to uninstall 2.1.  Cross fingers.

Looks like it went ok Brynn.  ;)

As @rjen already pointed out, backing up should be done before installing or uninstalling mods, just as a precaution.  You were running TP 1.2 so the stuff about TP1.0 wasn't really relevant to your case.

If your theme isn't responsive you should go to TP settings and Select non responsive themes then save.  That'll make sure the theme displays as it used to before.

The article editor should behave fine, but you might see some slight differences in the final output, so if you have a article you change on a regular basis I'd advise to copy and paste it into a test article and make some edits and saves to test it.

brynn

Hi Mick!
Yeah, it went through really easily!  Given all the problems I've had lately (with my host, and upgrading Simple Portal my other site) I'm so happy for smooth sailing.

Uh-oh....I see my front page is cut off now:  https://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/index.php  It's usually twice that long - a lot of contents are missing.

I remember when I switched to the front panel, I had to change something in my database, to allow for an extra long page (it's in this thread  https://www.tinyportal.net/index.php?topic=36023.0).

Do I need to go and do that again?  Did the upgrade reset the database option?  Or did something else change about the front panel?

lurkalot

Quote from: brynn on August 08, 2018, 11:54:36 PM
Hi Mick!
Yeah, it went through really easily!  Given all the problems I've had lately (with my host, and upgrading Simple Portal my other site) I'm so happy for smooth sailing.

Uh-oh....I see my front page is cut off now:  https://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/index.php  It's usually twice that long - a lot of contents are missing.

I remember when I switched to the front panel, I had to change something in my database, to allow for an extra long page (it's in this thread  https://www.tinyportal.net/index.php?topic=36023.0).

Do I need to go and do that again?  Did the upgrade reset the database option?  Or did something else change about the front panel?

Glad that part went ok.  Hopefully it should cure the errors you were getting.  The edit yo made to the database, https://www.tinyportal.net/index.php?topic=36023.msg292232#msg292232 yes it probably needs to be done again, or at least it's worth checking to see if it's been set back. Hopefully it has and should be a simple fix for you.

brynn

Yes, it looks like the upgrade reset that.  Hhmmmm, however, changing it to longtext does not seem to fix it.

I don't remember having to restart anything before.  I wonder what the problem is?

brynn

The row just below "body", which is called "access" is also set for "text".  But I don't know what "access" is or does.

Is there a Save button somewhere that I missed?  The "body" item is showing "longtext" for the Type column, so it seems to be successfully applied.

I'm not sure what else to do for this...

brynn

Aaahhh, whew!

I just had to paste the entire page code back into the box.

Now I think we're all set  8)

lurkalot

Glad it worked out for you, if all is well I'll mark this solved.

brynn

Yes, solved.  Sorry, I don't see the button.  Oh I see, it's the icon.  I'll try to remember next time.