TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 09:46:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 112
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 44
  • Total: 44

"Commentless/Rateless" articles

Started by azGRUNT, March 03, 2010, 03:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

azGRUNT

My Problem: My articles do not allow comments or rating
My Site: http://jeepsoverland.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?PHPSESSID=e02ib8o96eg44pqghm28mei3c4&
My SMF: 1.1.11
My TP: v1.0 Beta4
Me:  :uglystupid2:

I have enabled allow rating, display ratings, allow comments, and display comments. Yet they do not allow my members to do so. They do show "0 comments" and "0 ratings." I have looked under panel controls and block controls and do not find anything that would limit them. Any ideas?

ZarPrime

azGRUNT,

OK, let me see if I can explain this with a few examples.  On your site, it looks like you have created some articles and are showing them on the FrontPage.  However, instead of showing the actual articles on the FrontPage, you are using the Single Article type Block to show the article.  The single article block is designed to show the article to your members but not allow interaction (rating, comments, etc.)  If you instead showed the actual article on your FP, the members would have a way to get to the actual article page where they can rate it or comment on it.

For an example of how this works, once again, take a look at my test site ...
http://talesofthehavenexpanse.com/smf1test/index.php

Scroll down until you see an article with a picture of Saturn and Uranus in it.  The title is "Saturn Test" and on the Header you should see the date I created it and the title.  If you scroll on down, you'll see the same article, except there is no date, only the title.  This is because this one is a block in the lower panel showing that single article (like you have on your site).  You'll notice that there is no way to interact with that one, the one in the block.  Now, if you go back up to the actual article, the one with the date and title in the Header, if you click on the title in the Header, it will take you to the actual article (page 14).  On this page, you would be able to rate and comment on the article if you were logged into my test site.

LMK if this explains things a little better.

ZarPrime

azGRUNT

Wow, thanks again Zar!  O0

What should I be setting the article as if not "single article block?" I know you mentioned putting it on the FP but I must have missed where I did that. Actually my first article was set up that way but I changed something and it is no longer in true article form. What did I miss?  :-\

ZarPrime

azGRUNT,

To do this, Go to TP Articles in Admin, then click the category containing the articles you want to show on the FP.  Hover your mouse over the icons (buttons) shown in the pic attached below.  One of them allows you to show the article on the FP and another one allows you to set that article as featured (always above other articles).  Only 1 Article can be featured.  Click the "Toggle Show on FP" button for any article you want to be on the FP.

Then go to TP Frontpage settings and make sure you have "What to display on frontpage:" set to show articles.

Alternatively, if you want to use blocks instead, you can setup a TP menu for the left or right panel with a link to the actual article.  To see this on my test site, look at my FP again at the very top right upper block and you will see a link to this same article (Saturn Test) in the block titled "Tutorials".  Be aware that, this morning, my sites seem to be running very slow so it may take a while for it to come up.  I think my host is doing maintenance or something.

ZarPrime

azGRUNT

Quote from: ZarPrime on March 04, 2010, 04:40:39 PM
One of them allows you to show the article on the FP and another one allows you to set that article as featured (always above other articles).  Only 1 Article can be featured.   Click the "Toggle Show on FP" button for any article you want to be on the FP.

Then go to TP Frontpage settings and make sure you have "What to display on frontpage:" set to show articles.

I did this and now only one of them shows up and the commenting option is gone!? I removed the block this was in, toggled it to be on frontpage and only the featured one is displayed of the 2 I set up. Will only one article show at a time? I think I misunderstood you sir.  :-\

azGRUNT

I figured it out.  ;D

Now my only problem is that the comments do not display under the articles, even though I have it "checked" to do so.  ???

ZarPrime

azGRUNT,

Ah, the non-collapsible comment bug. :) It seems you have found another one.  This is a known bug in TP 1.0 beta 4, and has been fixed for the upcoming beta 5.

Here's the bug report --> http://www.tinyportal.net/index.php?action=bugtracker;sa=bug512

The problem is that the collapse icon, which uses javascript, has a problem.  What you could do is choose "Do not collapse comments initially" in the Article Edit screen.  Alternatively, I believe that someone posted a fix for this issue for beta 4 that I posted a link to in that bug report.

ZarPrime