TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 10:20:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 112
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 43
  • Total: 43

vBulletin and SMF

Started by brianjw, January 27, 2007, 05:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

christicehurst

Quote from: IchBinâ„¢ on August 11, 2007, 05:44:30 AM
Quote from: christicehurst link=topic=12772.msg148775#msg148775 date=1186752231

I agree with the SMF user interface. Always been behind the other software forums.
/quote]

I have to completely disagree there. Especially when it comes to the admin UI of vB. Gobo let me look at this when he setup his vB forum. I have to say that SMF is FAR superior when it comes to the usability of the SMF UI.

I'm talking about the design of the SMF.

bloc

So the whole theme..ok. Thats of course a subjective thing. In contrast with PhpBB newest site theme its a bit old(ish) now, but compared to VB and IPB they are actually quite similar. SMF default theme has elements from both plus some unique stuff.

But IMHO the looks isn't someting you can judge a script from, especially when there isn't much difference in quality. To say VB is better than SMF in that regard, is the same as to say Ford is better than Mazda (don't answer that lol :) ), it isn't really an objective statement.

christicehurst

Quote from: Bloc on August 11, 2007, 09:11:51 AM
Quote from: christicehurst on August 10, 2007, 02:23:51 PM
Quote from: Gobo on January 31, 2007, 03:21:20 PM
ill tell u guys 1 thing thoug

I still believe SMf can EASILY beat the pants off vB only if they paid a bit more attention to the user end and mod creation to offer more features

The user interface of SMf can use some polishing

And one things for sure - TP is just unbeatable!!!
And im not just saying that because im team, seriously, the ease TP provides for webmasters is unparalled with any other system may it be vbadvances, mkportal, joomla or whatever!

I agree with the SMF user interface. Always been behind the other software forums.

What exactly is lagging behind? The amount of options? ..how it is presented? or the structure maybe..?

This would be interesting to know, because the first is simply not doable, SMF is not equal VB in number of features(thank god), while the second and third are quite possible and easy, to change.

For example with vbulletin, the poster's profile info is above the actual post. With SMF it's on the left side. It looks mashed up and would love to see more structure to it. vbullletin is more clear on where a post begins and ends. With SMF it's too blended in and you have to look harder at which posts was yours and the other guy's.

The theme makers are the ones who save SMF from these problems. But they can only do so much. Even with my current theme Manuscript there's things I liked changed but no one has bothered to help or look into it. That's why alot of people look at SMF and vbulletin's default and nromally pick vbulletin as the professional looking one.

The main excuse I get is that "SMF is a younger software" compare to others. Yes I understand that. But how long can you use that excuse card for? 5, 10 more years?

Apart from the lack of a professional look that SMF has, everything else is pretty much perfect and that's why I'm with SMF. The Admin section, the ease of use for members is great. I'm looking forward to SMF 2.0. My tip it'll be released next year. Just have a feeling it will be delayed.

Zetan

QuoteFor example with vbulletin, the poster's profile info is above the actual post. With SMF it's on the left side. It looks mashed up and would love to see more structure to it. vbullletin is more clear on where a post begins and ends. With SMF it's too blended in and you have to look harder at which posts was yours and the other guy's.

Theres a topic at SMF that allows you to do this.
And it was only implemented in vB a few years ago, it used to be laid out the way SMF is.

christicehurst

I have that running now and it looks nice.

Zetan

lol.. thats just as well, I went looking for it and couldn't find it  ???

bloc

well, it thats all it took. :)

But that isn't really a good argument either..one change for the topic screen..? Please.

And why is it that you think that particular layout done the vb way, is any better than SMF way? My I remind you that only VB currently use that, both PhpBB and IPB use "our" way, with a great success too.

Of course SMF isn't "young" anymore , not in age at least, but the others do have existed a little longer AND also reached out to more people. Thats undeniable. SMF has focused on quality and speed, security and non-bloat, while others have put other aspects higher. Thsi "other" is something we too need to adress in due order, but it can't compromise the product in the process - just because it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the others (or amount of security issues for that matter) it doesn't automatically make it a inferior product.