TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 01:21:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 107
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 53
  • Total: 53

[solved] Frontpage Icon + links

Started by ianus, April 06, 2008, 11:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ianus

Greetings!

Just installed TP v1.0.5 beta 1 on a new SMF 1.1.4 â€" just snoopy.
Installation works well an so I start to play around a little bit.

The improvements are interesting and I'm very satisfied. Not so complex like an “real CMS” but with enough room to build a very useful entry point. Very nice work!  :up:

An extra “Thank you” for the possibility to show a block at different places â€" something I requested some times ago.

Now I have seen the new Front page settings and I love the idea to show images in front of front page Articles.

In my case, I use Forum-posts to show news and the new TP show an image in front of an Forum-posts which is shown at the frontpage.

I wonder, if it is possible to decide which image is shown or if the two versions (one with Normal + icons, the other with Icon + links) are the only ones.
I don't ask for this (although it would be nice to have). Just want to know if miss the proper setting.

Regards

G6Cad

You can change the image for every article you show on the frontpage.

When you have created your article, and saved it, edit the entire article and you will have the options there to add what ever image you like and also the size of it.

ianus

Greetings!

A little bit quicker and you respond before I can post  ;D

I have seen the settings for the Article and have some test-images already.

But I wonder if I can choose images for Forum-Post show on the frontpage.
In the Frontpagesettings I can choose
Layout types: Normal + icons (or Icon + links), before a Forum-Post the TPnoimage_forum.gif is shown.
Layout types: Picture + Article will show TPno_illustration.gif before a Forum-Post.

I can change these two images, of course, but not free for each post.

In my case, this is the quickest way to offer informations.
An calendar entry (which keeps chronology), with a link to the news-thread (allow to respond) and the headline shown on the frontpage (visible at a prominent point).

A lot of "readers" need an image as eye-catcher an atm the board-icons do the trick. A second one, which is a Little bit bigger, could be better.

Anyway, thanks for your quick respond, but I think, there is not option for that.

regards

Edith say:
Important but forgotten in the hype which get me because of the new features! Great Job and as perfect as the betas before. I have seen other software finals with more bugs an less possibilities! Thanks again for software and support!

G6Cad

Im not sure i follow you correc, but we give it a try though..

In your TP Admin/Articles and Categories/ you have a menu with
Articles  Categories  Settings  Submissions  Icons      

Click the ICON link and have a look at that page, from what it seems, the images will only work for articles and not blocks.  :-\

ianus

Greetings!

Thanks for the reply.

Of course, you are right. I can upload and set images easily for Articles and, as mentioned, I like this feature very much.

In my chase, I don't use Articles on the frontpage, but Forum-Posts.
Admin->Settings and Frontpage->Front page->What to display on front page: Only forum-posts

So I have had the hope, that there is an option to choose an extra image for forum-post which are shown on frontpage and I'm to stupid to find it. But is seems, that I have to work with the SMF-post-icons.

Anyway, I will spend some time with the code, and maybe I found a solution and can mod something.
One of the great benefits of TP â€" everything is possible (except global peace, maybe).

I honor it very much that your try to find sense in my sentences. Thanks a lot!

bloc

The icons from forum-posts are only fetched from post icons. I left the forum-posts alone for thsi, becasue adding second icons to them would prob mean to add a a entry for the posts table itself. As the forum tables are already very optimised I hate to break that for TP. A look-up table could perhaps be done, but it just isn't as efficient as a collected item in the post table itself.

ianus

Quote from: Bloc on April 07, 2008, 06:55:29 PM
A look-up table could perhaps be done, but it just isn't as efficient as a collected item in the post table itself.

Satisfying answer and no need to think about it any longer and no need to build something like that. I only want to know if I missed a feature.

Thank you both for your kind replies and your time you spend on reading my cruel English. Great support for great software! Marked as solved.

Kind Regards!