TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 04:27:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 59
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 50
  • Total: 50

[Request] Multiple categories...

Started by Xeriar, May 23, 2007, 09:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xeriar

Why not?  A given database is a single file (basically) anyway, at least for MySQL.

IchBin

A shout is a shout, not a post. Creating a post for every shout is unecessary work for TinyPortal. Thats just my $.02

Xeriar

On the other hand I find creating a separate table for a shoutbox to be unnecessary.

IchBin

Yes, but then you don't have to run it through the SMF routine and worry about it. A shoutbox is made to be simple. Adding it to SMF is far to complicated IMO. I think TP has bigger fish to fry. I'd like to see articles pulled from topics. This type of thing makes much more sense. Comments on articles would be posts in the topic.
With a shoutbox there's no topic. Theres just posts. If you get what I mean.... :)

Xeriar

Worry about what?

All it would need would be a predefined subject, and a character limiter.  In the case of a board-specific shoutbox, it would be that board, of course, while the forum-wide one would be by month, week, day, hour, etc. as needed.

I'm a fan of making good use of powerful generic tools like threads.  Your suggestion is another example of that.