TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 02:04:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 71
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 107
  • Total: 107

[suggestion] same block for multiple articles

Started by Omniverse, November 13, 2006, 11:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omniverse

I searched around a bit, and couldn't find anything relating to this. If their is way to do this, please let me know how.

I want to be able to have a block that operates as a kind of menu, but only to certain articles and membergroups.

So when I go to choose a way to show the block, it gives me a list of articles to choose from but I can only choose one. I would like to be able to show that block for several articles and not just one.

Soo....

My suggestion is allowing a block to be shown for multiple articles and not just one. :)

JPDeni

You can get the same result by having different blocks that are viewable only by certain membergroups. Or you can very likely have it display the way you want by doing some relatively simple php.

bloc

One could also put those articles in a category - and show the block only in the category. Currently the option to show the block inside its articles too, is not implemented.

But I see the need here..for example to show it across the categories.

To further enhance the blocks, I intend to make blocks become based upon another. Then you could add a block to each article that just take its content from another "master" block. The advantages are: 1.)  you keep the overlook with what block goes where 2.) edit the "master" block and all others will auto-update. 3) easier to maintain, than adding each block with extra places it is to be shown.

Omniverse

Ok, see I tried something like that but it didnt work.

I put all the articles I wanted the block to show in the same category, then I made the block show in that category in the options. The only time it would show though is when looking at the cat list and not any article in the category. :)

Look forward to your continued developement, most awesome portal ever :)

Now if I only knew php..... I have a module in mind hehe.....

JPDeni

Share your ideas for the module. We're here to help and might be able to get you something that you want, at least until Bloc gets the features he talked about finished.