TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 09:35:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 183
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online

Some Members cannot see 'Modify' or 'Remove' on their Replies and Posts.

Started by Aggamemnon, December 07, 2011, 02:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggamemnon

Greetings All.

I am running a Clan Website using SMF with Tiny Portal and mostly, if not everyone is using the DPWhite theme which is the Default theme. So far I have been extremely happy with Tiny Portal and so have everyone in our Clan.

We have not had the Site going for very long though and it has just come to our attention that some of the Members both General and Grouped cannot see the 'Modify' and 'Remove' above their posts. They can see the 'Quote'. but that is all?  Now it is very strange because some of the other Members, again from both General and Grouped can see 'Modify' and 'Remove'. From what I have gathered it seems that the majority of those who cannot see the full range of options are those who are using Google Chrome as a Browser.

I have checked and rechecked the Permissions many times and the Permissions are set correctly. I have asked our site engineer to check into this as one of our General members complained that he could not Modify his replies! Our Engineer arranged to go into the site under this Members Login and everything looked fine to him with his browser. One of our Clan Members (Grouped) said tonight that he had the same issue, even when he swaped browsers to Internet Explorer? So now I am more confused than ever? Would anyone know what this issue might be caused from and how we might be able to rectify the issue?

Thank You
Aggamemnon

Skhilled

To my knowledge, TP does not do anything that would interfere with posting. Sounds like you've got other issues. Do you have any other mods installed? could be a mod or folder/file permissions issue. Does this happen using the default SMF theme? Could be a theme issue...

Since this does not seem to be a TP issue, you can contact me at my site, Doc Skillz, and I'll try to help you. :)

Lesmond

Try this, just a long shot!
QuoteAdmin>Posts and Topics
Maximum time after posting to allow edit
Make that whatever you like.

Aggamemnon

To ©Lesmond.

I would like to thank you very much kind Sir, as I think that you have found and solved the problem that has been vexing me for too long now.
Your Long Shot seems to me to have struck the Bullseye! O0

I have just made the change now and maybe I am a tad premature in my celebrations, but logic dictates that you are correct. When I checked the settings that you suggested changing, I saw that this had previously been set at one minute. So I am feeling confident that this was the solution. :)

Thank you Skhilled for your advice and kind assistance. :)

Now if only I could find a solution to my only other problematic issue. My complete lack of knowledge when it comes to Website construction. I'm a bit of a Dinosaur running a Christian Gaming Clan and this is my first time of owning and running a website. My skills lays elsewhere I'm afraid, but I am always ready to learn.

I have chosen the DPWhite Theme for it's simplicity and bright look and have had the assistance of a site engineer from the Hosting Company to construct the site. One thing that has been a problem to me since the sites inception is the wasted space on both sides of the screen. My engineer does not know what to do to fix the issue, so I had practically given up.

If either of you two knowledgable gents wanted to see for yourself I will post the link to the site now. If you cannot see an immediate solution, then please do not worry as we shall just have to live with it. It would just be nice to have the main body wider for our Graphics Section.

I'm sorry I cannot post an external link it seems. So I guess you have to look us up should you wish to see. The Knights of GOD Gaming Clan.

Thank You both again and Merry Christmas from the †KoG† Clan.

Kind Regards
Aggamemnon

ZarPrime

Aggamemnon,

Look for the block of code below in this file --> http://www.knightsogod.com/smf/Themes/Dpwhite_20RC5/css/index.css?rc3

.wrapper {
    margin: 0 auto;
    padding: 8px;
    width: 960px;
}

Change the 960px for width to something like 95% and see if that helps.  You will have to do that via FTP to make the change permanent.

ZarPrime

Aggamemnon

Greetings ZarPrime.

Thank you very much for your response to my query. I really appreciate the assistance that I have received from all of you here.

I shall indeed do as you advise as I believe that you know so much more about these issues than my Site Engineer, who seems to be lost most of the time and I am paying for his services? The advice I received from ©Lesmond turned out to be exactly the solution to the first issue. Thank you again ©Lesmond. O0

I shall do this first chance I get as I do not wish to bother my Site Engineer with it and also have no wish to be charged extra for something that should have been
done in the begining. Once again let me say just how much I appreciate your invaluable assistance and I am sure the the Kids in the Clan would also like me to express their gratitude. If you don't mind I would like to mention your kindness in an Article that I have been asked to write for the Cerebral Palsy League of Australia. This is why our Clan is in existance, as these children can only play equally with other children in online gaming.

Once again Thank You Very Much :) :) O0

My Kindest Regards
Aggamemnon

Skhilled

I assume that your site engineer is working for the hosting company that hosts your site? If so, most of them will not know everything but will still charge you for their time.

I went to your site and you are having problems with the Maps block. It is constantly transferring data which can be seen in a browser's status bar. This may also be part of the problem or may contribute to other problems. You might wish to disable it and see if things improve. :)