TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 09:38:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 112
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 114
  • Total: 114

TPReviews 1.0 rev.7

Started by IchBin, November 20, 2009, 02:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IchBin

Hmm... it would appear that I locked it. lol  Don't know how, but thanks for unlocking! :)

prometheus fire

Okay, I installed this and have access to the admin site of things....but there is nothing showing on my frontpage or forum index.

Was this supposed to add something to the horizontal menu at the top of site, or do I need to add my own link to the reviews section?

I'm approaching this from a total "user" point of view so I've got kind of "no knowledge" perspective....

Linky: http://leafboxtea.com

lextalionis

You'll need to add your own link to:  http://leafboxtea.com/index.php?action=tpmod;rvws

The latest rev allows you to enable recent reviews or just cats to the index page of the reviews.  Using TP block you can also add recent reviews uisng the below php code which still seems to work for me:

global $context, $db_prefix, $scripturl;
$tp_prefix = $context['tp_prefix'];
$cat = array();
$request = db_query("
SELECT r.title, mem.realName, r.id, mem.ID_MEMBER, r.posted_on
FROM {$tp_prefix}reviews AS r
INNER JOIN {$db_prefix}members AS mem ON (mem.ID_MEMBER = r.posted_by)
WHERE r.approved = 1
".(!empty($cat) && is_array($cat) ? 'AND r.category IN ('.implode(',',$cat).')' : (!empty($cat) && is_numeric($cat) ? 'AND r.category = '.$cat : ''))."
       AND r.type = 'item'
ORDER BY r.id DESC
LIMIT 10",__FILE__,__LINE__);
$reviews = array();
while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($request)) {
$reviews[] = array(
'id' => $row['id'],
'title' => $row['title'],
'mem_link' => '<a href="'.$scripturl.'?action=profile;u='.$row['ID_MEMBER'].'">'.$row['realName'].'</a>',
              'posted_on' => timeformat($row['posted_on']),
);
}
mysql_free_result($request);
$total = count($reviews);
$i = 0;
foreach($reviews AS $review) {
$i++;
echo '<div class="smalltext"><a href="',$scripturl,'?action=tpmod;rvws;sa=viewitem;id='.$review['id'].'">'.$review['title'].'</a><br />['.$review['posted_on'].']<br /> by ',$review['mem_link'],'</div>';
if($i < $total)
echo '<hr />';
}

Glad to see a new user using this mod.  I'm gearing up to start publishing many more review cats soon.

-Roy

prometheus fire

great -thanks for that. So far, so good.

Something else has come up - all the rating options. I don't need user's and critic's reviews.  Where do I go to remove "critic's reviews". on the review page it just clutters things up and causes confusion

IchBin

I'll have to take a look. I'm not so sure those options can be taken out so easily. Will have to get back to you on that.

lextalionis

Just added a new review item and plan to start adding a lot more.  Found something odd and have a few thoughts as well:

1.  I commented on my new review item (lens) and adding a 1024X682 img it makes the image float out of the bounds of the comment section.  So it doesn't constrain and add a horizontal scroll bar like in the forum.  Here's the link to the new review item:  http://www.motleypixel.com/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;rvws;sa=viewitem;id=15  hereââ,¬â,,¢s a link to a similar-sized image (exact same size) in the forum where it doesn't do this:  http://www.motleypixel.com/forum/index.php/topic,379.0.html

2.  When I create a new review item it doesn't carry over the "rating fields" so I have to manually enter them all over again.  This probably isn't that noticeable now for early adopters or for developers that don't actually used it to post many reviews, but it's something to consider if you can store the fields in the db to recall them.

3.  I'm beginning to think the 5 star system isn't granular enough once more and more reviews are posted for a review item.   Not sure of the averaging logic but the difference between 4 and 5 stars should at least show 4.5 stars (like Amazon) but I don't think it does this.  Is there a way we can also use plain integer ratings i.e. 1-5 with the averaging carrying to the tenths place?  i.e. rating 4.6 is more meaningful than 5 stars.

Just chiming in...had some time this afternoon to play with this some more.  Hope everyone has a great holiday and happy new year!

-Roy

IchBin

1. Looks like the table that is sitting in could use some overflow. If the overflow is set to auto it will automatically create the scrollbars for the overlap on the image.

2. I do not like the current rating system. It is very cumbersome IMO. I'd like to change it, but that will take some time before I get to that.

3. See #2. :)

I actually just started last night updating the database routines for getting it SMF2+TP ready. It'll take some time though, as I'm just learning the new functions for SMF2 and TP1beta5.

lextalionis

Thanks for the update Brad...I understand priorities.  Looking forward to all the work the smf and tp team has put towards the new releases.

-Roy

Silver Knight

Lack of screenshots or demo is annoying :(

Mick

Interesting..... i could use this.