TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 10:38:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,195
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 128
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 47
  • Total: 47

Northern Lights?

Started by crip, January 19, 2006, 10:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crip

Has anyone every actually looked at the Great Northern Lights?..also, where exactly are they and where do you have to be to view it's beauty?..if anyone can paint a beautiful picture in the night skies like that it God.

Later, Crip~

Iceland?

gerrymo

Here in Scotland we see them frequently. No doubt Bloc will have seen the a fair bit in Norway. I am about 58 Deg North, so anywhere north of that should be good. You are best to have no background light from towns, cities, etc. Quite spectacular when you are further North than here.

G6Cad

yes, they are rellay looking like that sometimes (depends on how high up you are here in the northern parts of the world).

I live in sweden, and here if you go up north, (relly high up) you allmost see it every day when the sky is clear.

I have seen it lower to, but not that bright and clear as from "GÃÆ'Ã,¤llivare" where i use to be when i was younger.
I have some images from my trips there and from "Nordkap" (the most northern place you can be from here) that look just like the one in your link.

If you like a painting of the northern lights done in Aqvarell, i can help you with that.
Im an "hobby" artist and have done som paintings in my life of all kind of motives.

Give a PM if you are interested.

Carina

IchBin

That is so awesome!! A friend of mine is from Alaska and he was telling me about them one day. The only "Northern Lighs" I've seen was in Illinois... as strange as that sounds. I was in Illinois about 4 years ago in a tiny little town. One evening I came back to the place we were staying and I looked over the house because it was like really red haze in the sky. It seemed like there was a fire behind the house. I went into the back and looked real close only to see that is was like the northern lights. Traveling really slowly across the sky. Watched the news that night and they said it was called the Strawberry lights which they hadn't seen for like 20 years or something. Thats the only type of "Northern Lights" I've seen....

gerrymo

There is also a similar thing at the south pole. Aurora Australis if you want to google for some pics. Again, a stunning sight.

PhilH

I lived in North Dakota for a few years when I was very young. I will never forget how they looked. They are one of those "Wonders of Science" that have to be seen live to truly appreciate.