TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 06:09:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 59
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 48
  • Total: 48

May I ask...

Started by windsorlive, March 25, 2009, 03:21:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

windsorlive

I am adding a forum to a site and am very familiar with SMF, have been using SMF since the 1.0's. I currently have a production board running 1.1.8 with TinyPortal v1.0 beta 3 that is great and suites my members just fine.

The question I have is that this forum will need to be bug free and I am unsure whether I should use  TinyPortal 0.9.8 on this project. I ask this because from what I gather, no not moss because a rolling stone gathers no moss :uglystupid2:,  it is safer to wait for the full release to upgrade as opposed to updating betas along the way.

Is this correct or does that logic apply to SMF or other board softwares? Anyone have an opinion about the SimplePortal or should I ask?

ed_m2

you'll see from my sig i have both options live.

and the 0.98 version i installed and went live with after the newer version.

both do what i need in different ways..... and don't always do quite what i want in slightly different ways.

i think i was a bit overkeen on updating to the beta first time around, plus i'd be tempted to keep following the betas as the bugs get ironed out.... so am resolutely not upgrading the one site any further.. and holding off on the 0.98 site for a stable 1.0 (and even then i'll have to analyse the known bugs carefully for any showstoppers)

Ianedres

The 'official' answer would be along the lines that each version is "beta", which comes with the caveat associated with developmental software.

If you are one to update just to have the latest version, you may have some issues that come along with each new version.

Also, depending on your audience, they may or may not appreciate setbacks or temporary bugs with the newer 1.0 and ultimately the 2.0 editions of TP.

I personally use 0.98 for my site, and it is a solid performer with my large number of personal mods and scripts.

windsorlive

Thank you ed_m and Ianedres,

This is very good feedback for me regarding the portal.

Now I would like to ask which shoutbox will cause the least amount of grief and does anyone have an opinion for gallery mods. Does the AJAX intergration work well with 0.98? I seem to have some issues that I did not on my 1.1.8 with TP 1.0 beta 3 with the shoutbox and chat. So b4 I proceed further what's everyones opinion.

Like I mentioned I want to avoid any possible show stopping issues. So maybe my question should be, is there a prefered order to installing mods.

ed_m2

re: galleries, the tri site uses the ( free version ) "smf gallery" mod with the templates heavily modified to match TP article styling. ok so far but has not been used very demandingly to date.

Ken.

Hi windsorlive, welcome to TinyPortal.

Use the Simple Shoutbox.
Development on the Adv-Shoutbox has stalled for now, so there is no support for that version currently.

With the gallery mods it all comes down to what you want/need in a gallery; of the two most popular gallery 'Mods' you'll find that SMFGallery is the most stable and there is a free 'Lite' version but it cost money to use the Pro version. SMF Media Gallery is free and has lots of great features (as much or more than SMFGallery Pro) and it works great, it's still being developed, but don't let that throw you off because it works very well.

Two other great gallery options are Gallery2 and Coppermine, but my own personal opinion is that using one of the two mentioned above is the better way to go because they install directly to SMF.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

windsorlive

Quote from: Ken. on March 25, 2009, 03:01:35 PM
Hi windsorlive, welcome to TinyPortal.

Use the Simple Shoutbox.

Hi Ken and thanks for the welcome. 

Do you mean the one that comes with the TP, btw I decided to go with TP  1 beta 3
or is there a different mod?

Thanks again

Ken.

Yes, it's the shoutbox that comes with TP.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.