TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 04:27:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 98
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 69
  • Total: 70
  • tino

WINDOWS VISTA LMAO!!!!!!

Started by TolerancE, February 07, 2007, 12:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnichols7

I am a little concern about one thing.  Remember that I had to removed Norton, well after the installation of Vista, I am without virus protection.  I have windows firewall which I think is a big improvement over the previous one in XP, but XP would tell you that you needed a virus program.  Did any of you add it back onto your system?  After getting rid of Norton I kind of hate putting it back on.

Porky

Quote from: Marian on February 13, 2007, 12:36:41 AM
I am a little concern about one thing.  Remember that I had to removed Norton, well after the installation of Vista, I am without virus protection.  I have windows firewall which I think is a big improvement over the previous one in XP, but XP would tell you that you needed a virus program.  Did any of you add it back onto your system?  After getting rid of Norton I kind of hate putting it back on.

I don't have Virus protection either and it tells you. What version of Vista our you running I have Ultimate and it puts a little yellow sheld in your icon bar at the bottom as a windows security alert, saying no virus protection found.

Porky

Quote from: pvcblueÃ,© on February 08, 2007, 10:57:57 PM
Quote from: IchBinâ„¢ on February 08, 2007, 09:09:36 PM
I've said it somewhere here before, but as a general rule I don't update a Microsoft product until the first service pack release at least. XP will be a good operating system for quite some time. I'm in no hurry to update.

I am with Ichbin on this one, I have a Dell XPS600, and after reading thru all the horror stories on the Dell forums about Vista not having drivers and other things to support programs and parts in most computers including the Dell models, I will be waiting until it is broke in more.
I have installed and I only had a couple of third party programs that would not work and after 2 or 3 days they have put up Vista compatible Programs. I have been working with vist since Beta1 to Present Ultimate full. It is a better system, but like IchBin said no need to run and buy XP is still a great system and will serve you well for a long time to come. I am just very big on visuals and love new software( I have to be the First on the Block to Get it)

mnichols7

I am using Home Premiums and yes I do have the yellow shield, it said Windows Security Alerts.  But still am uncertain on rather I should install a virus program.  How good is Windows Firewalled?  You know WinXP firewall wasn't too much and you were advise to use another firewalls besides the one that came with XP.

mnichols7

Okay, after clicking on the yellow shield, I was told that I did not have a virus program installed. I tried to install my version of Norton, 2004.  Windows would not allow it.  So I went to MS site and downloaded a 90 day trial of Trend Micro. They all run at least $30 a year. 

alan s

Yep , Its really all microsofts fault there isnt more choice for protection now , They delayed giving the security companies access to the vista code for ages........... I like the Aero feature though! Very cool!

domineaux

The yellow shield is not to protect your system.  It is user notification of the updating utility of MSFT.  MSFT does have the new malicious removal tool, which is a scan for malware, virus, and other junk.  It is in beta now,  but you can use it now to scan your system free.  Just go to msft and search on "malicious" you'll see a page of links. 

I'm not sure if you can fully DL it.  I just allowed MSFT activeX on my computer. It took it about 3 hours to run.   

The windows firewall may be better, but remember it is not virus or malware/spyware scanner.  Firewalls control people getting in and out of your computer, and keep you ports from access by remote users.

I run Spybot, Ad-aware and AVG anti-spyware.  I use the AVG 7.5 version of the free virus scanner.  I have used the AVG for over 2 years and to be real honest I've been having results better than many using the Symantec.

My suggetion:  Do not use your system without a Virus protection.  There are so many new and very bad viruses now you don't have a chance of keeping your system clean for even a week, if you're actively using the web.  If you have a software firewall that notifies you whenever a bot lands on your computer seeking access you're going to see a daily barrage of near-do-wells are trying to get in.  I realize not all those bots are designed to damage your computer, because sometimes we cause it by things we click on websites.
I did read awhile back on some blog, where a hacker admitted he had a tool that could run through so many computers each night, that it was equivalent to a small country.

I put a Zonealarm personal firewall on my system recently and found one of my neighbors was defeating my security and using my LinkSys router on my broadband connection. I had  64 bit WEP security installed.  I have since gone to WAP2 and turned off my SSID broadcast.

There must be some slick new hacker tools how there for beating the WEP security.  I'm reluctant to go looking to what kind of security breaking tools are available. The hacking tools are probably easily available in the underworld of warez.

bigb

Hello All with Viata

Ok everyone even with Vista you need virus protection.  The best thing is thatââ,¬â,,¢s about all you need with the built in firewall and all the other things in vista you can run a good compact virus scanner and keep your machine clean.

I have been searching for one and have found one that works well with Vista.   Avast is a compact virus scanner that auto updates scans your mail and system and best of all its free to home users..

You can fine it at   http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html   I have been using it for about 2 weeks now  and it seams to be working well..  It works With Vista and Vista 64bit.

mnichols7

I use Windows Defender by Micorosoft, wich comes with Vista, but I have been using one version or another of it for quite sometime now, it has changed names a few times but still basily is the same program.  I haven't decided just yet which virus program I want to either buy or use.  I think I may try all of the one listed on Microsoft's site then make my decision.

In the past I have used Zone Alarm, bought version, McAfee, Norton as well as some of the free ones out there.  I think Norton bugs me the most, I like Zone Alam after I learned it.

bigb

QuoteThere must be some slick new hacker tools how there for beating the WEP security.  I'm reluctant to go looking to what kind of security breaking tools are available. The hacking tools are probably easily available in the underworld of warez.

WEP is NOT the way to go for security on a router.  I was using WEP on my router and my nephew brought his laptop over and laughed and with  in 3min was in my system. 

WAP is safer but to a good hacker is not foolproof but can keep most people out.   

A word of advice when setting up a net work.

DO NOT LEAVE THINGS AT THEIR DEFAULT SETTINGS!!!

When setting up workgroups donââ,¬â,,¢t use WORKGROUP or MSHOME set it to something different.  And on the router change the ADMIN password.   These are the 2 most missed things when setting up a home networkââ,¬Â¦