TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 07:52:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,195
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 144
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 48
  • Total: 49
  • @rjen

Re: Making splash home page (resolved)

Started by KT, December 26, 2010, 10:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KT

Link to my site: http://www.ringsidepoker.net
SMF version: SMF 2.0 RC4
TP version: TP 1.0 RC1
Default Forum Language: English
Theme name and version: Flagrant
Browser Name and Version: latest firefox
Mods installed: Tiny Portals
Related Error messages:no error msg

Hi would like to make a home/splash page similar to
http://www.vintagesledders.com

well its the menu bar i would like on the splash page

how do i go about this

regards

KT

IchBin

So which is it? A splash page, or just the menu? Your whole post seems a little vague on what you're looking for.

If you're looking for just the menu a quick google will give you lots of results for that.

KT

Hi

I would like a is it called a splash page similar to that of www.vintagesledders.com with the same menu bar etc.....

KT

ZarPrime

KT,

Are you saying that you want the same top menu on your FrontPage as you would have on your Forum?

It looks like the owner of that site is not using TinyPortal, or any other Portal for that matter.  I can't be sure of course but it looks like he just has his SMF Forum setup in a folder of his main domain (Main_Domain/forums/index.php) and has setup the FrontPage of his site to be a separate entity showing the first posts of each topic in one particular Board, the "Sledder of the Week" Board.  He has also written some blocks into his php file for his FrontPage.  If he has done this, it would be harder to keep up with that because he would have to update the FrontPage code every time someone posts a new topic in that Board.

With TinyPortal, you could do exactly the same thing on your site because the FrontPage, including the blocks, would be created automatically from information placed into the Forum without having to edit the FrontPage code.  The only difference is that it would be much easier to do if he was using TinyPortal.

For instance, here is what you could do with your TinyPortal FrontPage if that was your site ...

1.  In FrontPage Settings, you would set the FP to show "Only Forum Posts" in "What to display on frontpage:".  At the bottom of the FP settings, you would select the News Board to show the topics on the FP from.
2.  Each of those 3 blocks in the left panel on your FP could be setup as menu blocks using the built-in menu manager in TinyPortal and set to display on the FrontPage Only.
3.  That poll block on the right side could just be a php block and, once again, only set to show on the FrontPage only.

Doing this with TinyPortal would be very easy to accomplish.  My suggestion is to setup a few blocks and set them to show on the FrontPage only, and play with the FrontPage Settings to get just the right look that you are looking for.

ZarPrime

KT