TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 22, 2024, 03:56:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,197
  • Total Topics: 21,221
  • Online today: 226
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 161
  • Total: 161

Simplemachines forum having problems again ?

Started by g6cad, August 16, 2006, 07:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G6Cad

I have a hard time browsing on SMF forums, is it just me, or do they have problems again with the site  ???

Crip

Very slow there..G6, that crazy smiley has got to GO!.
I have become comfortably numb!

Cripzone | Crip's Free 2.0.2 Themes

G6Cad

Ok, then i know it not just me that have slow browsing there :)  Takes about 3 or 4 min to just load up the page, and longer to get in the forum, get server errors and sql strings on the page top  :o

But the smiley in the shoutbox here have a good time though  :2funny:

IchBin

I personally do not like going to the SMF site. I only do it when I have to. That site is ALWAYS slow for me. Sometimes it loads ok, but I rarely am not waiting for things to load. Not to mention the search function there is rediculously slow and even disabled often. Maybe they can't afford the internet connection or Server costs I don't know.... It sure is frustrating.

G6Cad

I have been the a lot latly, there are some really good information there that is often asked over at tiny portal, but i have to agree with the search and the very disturbing order they have in the forum, it's hard to find what you are looking for. I think you have to be there a lot and just surf around there to learn where you can actually find things, the crosslinking in almost every post is very frustrating.

Xarcell

I agree with the search function Ichbin. It's a pain in the arse.

akulion

I sometimes get the feeling that one day suddenly SMF will go 'ba bye'

I dont know why but I keep getting this feeling in my gut since a few months now everytime i visit their site

IchBin

I agree akulion. I have had that feeling for quite some time. I'm just waiting for it to go to a pay software or something.

G6Cad

I dont think they will, read all over the forum that they never will go to payed software, even the lead developer strongly said NEVER EVER !!

IchBin

rebelrose

That is why I ask you guys questions here, SMF site is not as good to me as this one. I started a section on my site for SMF just because of that.

I think it will be hard for any site to beat this one as far as help and info.

Xarcell

G6Cad

This is kind of hard to say to you all in here, but as we are growing here, and a new release of TP with a lot of new and changed things that will take some effort for us to support you on, we have to somewhat cut off pure SMF related support and ask you to find the info needed there on SMF forums.

As long as the questions are related to TP we will give support offcourse, but we have to be a bit harder on what support goes in here ;)
This is not ment to be mean against our members, but we do have limited time here most of us, and the support we are going to give on the free time we have will be dedicated to TP in the first place.

Another thing that is growing fast and big is the theme and theme making, but also theme conversions, so thats the reason you see the changes here, we have to change things to new ways to cope with support in the future.

I hope you all will understand this later when we start to direct questions that are not related to TP or Themes for SMF and TP

But i to want to say thank you for the kind words :)

bloc

SMF have all its staff in unison about the paid direction - it will not happen. I will not stay on in that case.

The reason the former lead developer left was not because of that, but many other reasons which I won't go into here.

The site have some problems..its mostly server related though. Its traffic is very high, and it has in addition to the SMF itself a cvs server, several extra scripts for parts like theme and mod section etc. so the challenge has been to get the most out the dedicated server, which only recently was replaced/expanded.

IchBin

I remember reading about the server upgrade. But it sure doesn't feel like it was upgraded everytime I go there lol. I wish I had some bucks to spend on a nice machine, I'd donate it to the cause. I'm a firm believer in the free software arena.

ZarPrime

Quote from: Mrs G6 on August 17, 2006, 05:03:27 PM
This is kind of hard to say to you all in here, but as we are growing here, and a new release of TP with a lot of new and changed things that will take some effort for us to support you on, we have to somewhat cut off pure SMF related support and ask you to find the info needed there on SMF forums.

As long as the questions are related to TP we will give support offcourse, but we have to be a bit harder on what support goes in here ;)
This is not ment to be mean against our members, but we do have limited time here most of us, and the support we are going to give on the free time we have will be dedicated to TP in the first place.

Another thing that is growing fast and big is the theme and theme making, but also theme conversions, so thats the reason you see the changes here, we have to change things to new ways to cope with support in the future.

I hope you all will understand this later when we start to direct questions that are not related to TP or Themes for SMF and TP

But i to want to say thank you for the kind words :)

Hi All,

Speaking of Themes, I have been looking around for some additional themes that have been modified for use with TP, and I found a website where they have 67 TP modified themes in 2 folders in their download section.  The URL for that site is ... http://www.familjegodis.se/forum/index.php  You may have to register to go to the download page (I don't remember) but once you do you'll see that the author claims that all 67 of the themes (actually 76 in 2 folders) will work with the latest versions of both SMF and TP.  I was just wondering if this is definitely correct, because I'd hate to download some of these Themes and install them and find out that it was a waste of time because they didn't work with TP.

If this has indeed been verifed, my apologies to the websites author.  If that is the case, I applaud your efforts.  :up:

G6Cad

:2funny:

Thats my site you are talking about :)
Thank you for giving me so much good credits for my collection, although every theme comes from this site so im just one of the hosts for them wit the permissions from the authors :)

Kind of fun to see my site coming around like this now  :laugh:

Thank again zarprime  :)

IchBin

Quote from: Mrs G6 on August 18, 2006, 12:37:27 AM

Thank you for giving me so much good credits for my collection, although every theme comes from this site so im just one of the hosts for them wit the permissions from the authors :)

Don't listen to her! She's trying to trick you into downloading illegal themes....

Ok, so I'm telling a big fat lie right there lol. Yes, that is my TP wifes site. :)

Jump1979man

that site is always slow for me and you rarely ever get any good help there on questions......most the time no one ever responds.

Here on the other hand there are an abundant of helpful people ready and willing to lend a hand.

akulion

Thats a relief to know SMF is here to stay!

:D

ZarPrime

Quote from: Mrs G6 on August 18, 2006, 12:37:27 AM

Hey, no problem.  I should have realized that it was your site.   :idiot2: I don't even remember how I found it now.  I don't remember clicking on a link in one of your messages.  Anyway, it's great to see the support that is available for those of us that aren't quite up to speed yet on TP.

Thanks for the great work and the great website.  :up: Oh, and the adult smileys are hilarious.  :2funny: Too bad I can't use them.  ::)

ZarPrime

G6Cad

Thats ok :)

The smileys are a bit over the top in regular forums yes  ::)

alan s

im geting a wierd screen when i go to http://simplemachines.org now

oh wait now i cant get on at all , anybody else getting the same? i tryed pinging it and i got a reply though