TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 08:45:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 112
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 68
  • Total: 68

My "Holy Sh*t" Idea...

Started by Xarcell, May 31, 2006, 01:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xarcell

Ok, I said I would talk about it one day, after Bloc has implemented the loose blocks. I know he hasn't released it yet, but I've already started working on the idea, which is a common sense idea, but could really make it's mark on communities.

(use your imagination with me)

Ok, I started a xbox gaming site called "Xbox Narc". This site is being set up as a news/media site, along with clan support. For clan support, they get to have thier own board with theme. How cool is that?

Now imagine what it would be like after Bloc hits 1.0? The clans could have their own blocks added to their board, write articles that would show their theme if they wanted, etc etc. This would be like having a SITE WITHIN A SITE. Almost like blogging, but instead of it being personal, it's community based.

Consider this. Let's say I plan to build a TP themes site.(which I do). Imagine Bloc gives me a board. I create a theme for it. Write some articles for it. Control my own blocks for it, and offer my own support to the themes for it, downloads to my themes, without ever actually leaving the TP site. One login, one username & password.

Here's what my Xbox Narc site looks like now with 2 clans implemented. Please keep in mind that I'm still working on themes and content. If anyone wishes to add their Xbox 360 clan to XN, let me know.

Check out the links below for an example of the "site within a site" idea. Clan links redirect to their boards on the XN site.

::Site
www.xboxnarc.com

::Clans
www.veoclan.com
www.xtmclan.net

-Xarcell

IchBin

I can't get any of your links to load.

Those are some good ideas. I've seen the selectable blocks idea float around here a couple of times. How do you implement mulitple domains on to one SMF installation though? I think this has some good ideas, but I also think that some of it is out of scope with what Bloc has planned. Who know though, could change his mind if he likes it. :)

Crip

Looks awesome X, nice site, ideas, layouts - - crips over all rating: 09 or A- :coolsmiley:
I have become comfortably numb!

Cripzone | Crip's Free 2.0.2 Themes

Xarcell

Well it seems for the first time in 3 years of being with the host, my sites are down. What are the odds? lol...

They said they will be back up shortly...

Xarcell

Bloc has alreadly planned loose blocks for the .9 release. Also planned themes for articles for .9. Those are the only 2of 3 things missing. The third thing missing is a moderator of blocks, which bloc also said he would love to implement soon, but didn't say exactly when.

Yes, boards for sub-community would have to be created by the administrator at this time and also teh blocks. After you add them though, they can update and take care of thier own stuff. All ya do is just apply the modertor/domain owner to the board & blocks.

Multiple domains on one SMF installation? Nope, just redirected. People would be responsiable for buying thier own domains wherever. They just auto redirect it to thier given board. Let say if they change their mind, and wanted to have their site elsewhere, they still have their domain.

Crip

The links worked for me, I looked at all of it.. Burp! ;)

IchBin

What I was looking at is that its just a redirect. All of the domains resolve to xboxnarc. That in itself doesn't give people a good feeling of "being on their own site." I see how the features you've mentioned can make your idea work, but I think that is the round about way of getting what you want. I'm not saying any of this is a bad idea. Just pointing out the way it makes me think about things. I personally would want my "own" domain showing in the address bar when I go to my site. If you figure out a way to resolve that.... that is 90% of the issue I have with this idea. Fantastic if it works out for you Xarcell. Good ideas mate!

Crip

I did notice the redirects, Theme to Theme, addy to addys..

stormlrd

someone similiar to proboards has been playing with smf lately, basically subdomains for your site giving you the name you want but a proboards setup. Blah the fact they are messing with SMF irks me as a friend of mine is trying it out and says there is no ability to load mods only choose from presets that "proboards" choses and manipulating the code itself. I guess its for ppl without the sense to setup there own domains lol.

http://singles4friends.smfforfree.com/index.php - is his site and note the links at the bottom to make it adfree lol

SMF For Free - Create your own Forum
Upgrade This Forum

But setting up subdomains Xarcell might make some of what your suggesting an integrated whole

Xarcell

BTW, as far of being out of scope to what Bloc has planned, it can already be done and I'm doing it. However, if Bloc adds those 3 other features, it would have a major impact on communities & portals.

Heck, sub-communities aside, it would be a viable personal blogging system as well because of it's appearance of a "site within a site". The only out of the way problem is the admin would have to manually create each board for a user. Which I don't mind, because it's better than getting cluttered with user's who don't do much with it, and they have to be approved first. Admin's gotta watch their bandwidth...

Maybe way down in the future, someone can create a module that would allow a user to "apply" for thier own board. What ever they put in the fields(textareas) would be the name of thier boards, or blocks, along with other information. All an admin would have to do is review it and approve or decline and the board is auto created or rejected. (basically the mod inserts the DB info).

BTW, there is another issue, but it already has a solution. Currently I have to place user's manually into a clan as secondary membergroup, so they can see the clans hidden child boards, and other things. However, there is a mod already created over at SMF that allows a modertor of a particular group, in which they can add/remove user's to that membergroup as secondary.

Out of scope? Nah, it's already there...

:p

Xarcell

Subdomains cost money....

Also, its' impossiable to have the same SMF installation on multiple domains or vice versa. It won't work with the DNS. That's is just as close as your ever gonna get.

I'll take community over domain name anyday.

Xarcell

Personally I don't see a problem with redirecting domains. That's why xarcell.com takes you to my tagworld account. I wanted to go with a community, not run my own personal site that no one wants to register and comment on.

If have your own domain displayed is a problem, then I guess you got a problem. Personally I'd like to see the host of the site get credict by showing thier domain.

You can cloak a domain so that the board reads as your domain. However, because IE is such a sucky browser, it auto logs you out everytime you visit that domain. Which is why I had the domains changed to redirects last night.

That poses problem for me though. If I build a site, build themes, and host boards for people for free, I would like them to see the actual domain of the site. Not a cloaked one...

Xarcell

Quote from: stormlrd on May 31, 2006, 02:34:09 PM
someone similar to proboards has been playing with smf lately, basically subdomains for your site giving you the name you want but a proboards setup. Blah the fact they are messing with SMF irks me as a friend of mine is trying it out and says there is no ability to load mods only choose from presets that "proboards" choice and manipulating the code itself. I guess its for ppl without the sense to setup there own domains lol.

http://singles4friends.smfforfree.com/index.php - is his site and note the links at the bottom to make it adfree lol

SMF For Free - Create your own Forum
Upgrade This Forum

But setting up subdomains Xarcell might make some of what your suggesting an integrated whole

You won't have one username and login for all those forums. It's still separate communities. I'm talking about one huge community and sub-communities. Not about offering someone the choice to create their own single community.

As I said, it's a common sense idea. I'm prolly not the first to think of it. I'm just pointing out how close TP/SMF software allows you to do achieve it and how it can be accomplished.

Xarcell

Like I said, if bloc implements the loose blocks, and wants to give me my own board, I'll run my own themes site within this TP site. Everything would work better in a bigger community. I think it's better than me running teh same software, at a different domain where everyone has to  register again for support and download.

I'm the kind of guy that prefers a one stop resource.

I was thinking the same for blockcodes.com if they wanted to.

bloc

This sounds just excellent. I have just today added the theme option for a article, next up is "loose" blocks and editing permissions for it. Then its testing time. :)

G6Cad

bloc

stormlrd

loose blocks sound great, Love to be able to actually do them like ssi bloc's so that I could move individual blocs where I wanted depending on theme.

IchBin

I recall Bloc saying something about being able to call a block within an article and stuff. This just keeps adding up. Next thing you know, you won't have to do anything because TinyPortal will just read your mind.

G6Cad

Then we all can relax and lay back witha great nice

anunlike

Quote from: IchBinâââ,¬Å¾Ã,¢ on June 12, 2006, 06:13:38 PMNext thing you know, you won't have to do anything because TinyPortal will just read your mind.

Now that would be a cool feature!

;)

bloc

haha...that will be the day.

But seriously, this is the sort of things where TP can shine. Every portal seems to have a blog and blocks and a neat links manager lol..but not many will allow this kind of scenario, at least none I know. And I really like the sort of macro-micro/site-in-site..all run from SMF+TP.

IchBin

I have to say at first I didn't understand Xarcells idea. When he was saying he would like to have a site within a site. I wasn't thinking of related communities or anything like that for some reason. I can see how it can work after re-reading some. Not all of it I agree with, but that is just my opinion. Nevertheless, good ideas come from other good ideas. Sorry if I came off a little too blunt about the way I see things Xarcell.

bloc

The way i understood it is that it allows membergroups or single members( -> single membergroup for one) to make board(s) more their own, in that blocks can only appear on thsoe boards, a theme set on that board as their "own" and articles written can have the same theme, and same blocks - it will actually feel like site in the site. ANd it won't be complex to setup..like a multiple sitemanager would be, becasue you as admin just adminstrate thsoe forums and blocks to that membergroup and voila, they are on their own.

I have added selection of theme for articles - boards of course already have this feature - working on block access overall and perhaps also article permission, but I will see how much time that takes, if too long it will have to wait. But editing blocks per membergroup will be in. The admin/block admin can then just set a edit permission for a membergroup on a block, make it visible only on certain pages/board etc. and the theme(if wanted) on said articles/board. 

bloc

Some sort of macro function for this could also be good..but first the "raw" steps needs to work.

stormlrd

Put that way bloc I understand it much better and the potential setups are limitless, sorry X i didnt quite understand but this sounds potentially a new breakthrough if forum indexing

Xarcell

Ya, you got the idea right Bloc.

You can even use the exact same system for blogging. Just do it by user. Then you would have a top-notch blogging system. A site within a site so to speak.

Just ideas I'm trying to throw out. Like you said, it would really make TP shine and above any other in my opinion.

bloc

I have now all of the elements working, save the "edit blocks" per membergroup feature, which is last before testing.

Xarcell

:: DROOLS ::

well done Bloc.