TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:28:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,173
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 120
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 105
  • Total: 105

Unable to load the 'tp_above' template

Started by davo88, January 22, 2024, 06:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davo88

Link to my forum: NA - test forum only
SMF version: 2.1.4
TP version: TP ver. 3.0.0
Default Forum Language: English
Theme name and version: Default SMF Curve2
Browser Name and Version: Brave Chromium to 120.0.6099.217, Firefox 121.0.1
Mods installed: None
Related Error messages: Unable to load the 'tp_above' template

Just did a fresh install of SMF, imported the database, checked everything working, then installed TP 3.0.0. No mods or code edits at all. Installation appeared to run normally.

You cannot view this attachment.

Then after closing the above window. the error message below appeared.

Clicking any link on the main page produces the same error message. Forums are inaccessible.

The same database has been imported into at least three other 2.1.4 test forums, also fresh installs with no mods, they are all working normally. I can do another fresh install if it helps at all.

@rjen

Looking at the screenshots and the message I suspect that somehow the template files and language files are not in the \Themes\default folders.

Can you check these folders if they have the TP* template files?

If not you can try to copy the files from the install package to your server...
Normally you can just move these folders with the content to your server...

I have tested the install many times with the TP3.0.0 package and this never happened, so I can only imagine it has something to do with your server settings...
Running Latest TP on SMF2.1 at: www.fjr-club.nl

davo88

Quote from: @rjenCan you check these folders if they have the TP* template files?

They all seem to be there.

So I did a second install, no data imported this time. Same confirmation notices after installing TP

And it all seems to work OK.

So could it be something in the database? Perhaps I should try a third install with the database in place again just to make sure it wasn't something quirky with that first test? I will do that now.

A related question... let's say I install SMF, then TP, but no database, as done with this '215_Test' site.
Is it then possible to drop the mainly empty smf_ tables from the database (leaving the smf_tp_ tables in place) and import the smf_ tables containing the data from my forum? Or does TP write data into the smf_ tables during installation?

Note there are no additional mod-created tables in my forum database.

@rjen

TinyPortal does not store data in the SMF tables, everything is stored in the tables that are prefixed with tp_*

I just re-read your original message and only now I notice that you mentioned importing a database to the new install. However you never mentioned that after you imported a database also ran repair_settings.php?

Did you do that before you installed TP?

If not, that may very well explain the error: Tinyportal tries to call the templates in the default template according to the smf directory settings. If those are incorrect (because they were not fixed after importing the database) that may very well result in the error you were getting.

davo88

Quote from: @jenDid you do that before you installed TP?
Definitely. I always run Repair Settings and then check forum topics to make sure posts, avatars, attachments - everything is working normally.

So I just did a third install - '220-Test'. The sequence was:
  • install SMF
  • drop smf_tables
  • import database
  • run repair settings
  • check everything working and correct in the forum
  • install TP

One thing I did do differently, was at the end of the TP installation.
In '210_test' (the first one), I think I clicked on the link that said something like "Redirect to TP". I don't have a snip of it but the 'Red' is just visible at the bottom of this snip.

In this latest install (220-Test), I didn't do that and just clicked on one of the SMF menu items. It's a minor point, but thought I should mention it.
Anyway, with this 220-Test, we have a third result which is sort of halfway between the first two tests. The installation has basically worked, the TP admin panel is accessible, but the panels and blocks are not laid out in the normal manner.

This sequence of four snips taken scrolling down the page, hopefully conveys what it is like.

The snips don't include all the forums listed because there a lot of them. But it is the sequence of the panel layout - left only, centre and right, centre only - that I thought might indicate something.

Only the left panel appears at first, then we scroll down to the shout box at the bottom and the centre panel containing the forum and the right panel appear. Then once we get to the bottom of the right panel, the forum becomes full width occupying the space of all three panels - left, centre and right.

Not sure what to try next.

@rjen

davo88

PM sent with links to the three test sites.

Ctrl-F5 - no change that I could see.

I could try importing the forum database into the 215-Test (the no data site).
Or I could repeat the sequence of 210-Test and 220-Test but using TP 2.3.1 instead of 3.0.0:
  • install SMF
  • drop smf_tables
  • import database
  • run repair settings
  • check everything working and correct in the forum
  • install TP

davo88

Ahhh! I just logged out and 220 came good!

@rjen

:hmm:

and is stays good when you log back in?

it looks to me like there may be a closing div missing or too many...

davo88

Quoteand is stays good when you log back in?

No, goes back to the long layout described above.