TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 07:47:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,174
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 177
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 116
  • Total: 117
  • @rjen

Weather block based on IP???

Started by globalreman, November 16, 2007, 04:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

globalreman

I am looking for a code that puts a users city specific weather in a block. I have a block with code that shows the user their IP address. If we can show a user their IP address, can we post the weather in a block based on their IP address?  Or, can we use their zip code from their profile to have a custom weather block (so they don't have to type in their zip code). Please let me know if this can be done,  Thanks -Aaron

Zetan

I would have a search on Google and see if there are any such scripts.
I've not seen any that do what you want.. but then, I've not really looked into weather blocks.

Crip

I do believe smf has a few (mods) you can use for such things as that   ?
I have become comfortably numb!

Cripzone | Crip's Free 2.0.2 Themes

stigmartyr

The one weather mod I could find @ SMF under the keyword weather, looks pretty lame.  Better if it was a block, and pulled infoz based on IP..

Easy for the mini profile to become too busy and crowded with junk.

Ianedres

My experience with attempting to provide weather with IPs is that you have to use a third-party geolocation database that generalizes the area based on providers. It required a subscription to use the geolocation services I had found, and wasn't a practical expense for such a block on my site.

I would think it would be better to use a custom profile field to store a member's ZIP code, and extract the weather from there. Not the perfect solution...

stigmartyr

The Weather BLock snippet (in another thread) - works rather well, but they're not pulling the forecast data that is already in the xml.  If it just had a link to pop open more details that would be awesome.

For a site who's members rely alot on weather it would be very nice indeed