TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 05:17:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,178
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 232
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 211
  • Total: 211

what would it take to create a wiki module

Started by pjr, October 19, 2006, 08:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjr

What is involved in creating a new module I was thinking of a wiki module....

borgBOB

Someone who can write php code, and knows exactly what you want displayed. And is also familiar with TP. ;)

IchBin

Have you taken a look at the wiki theme? It's very similar to some wiki's the way it works.

pjr

php check
Idea of what I want check
knowledge of TP nope.... :)

and yes I have seen the wiki theme

JPDeni

Could you go into detail about what you want?

pjr

I run a play by post RPG site www.ourplacetoplay.com. One campaign is a long running one and wants to create a set of History documents. This would be revised quite a bit initially and then updated over time in a communal way hence its a good fit for a wiki approach.

JPDeni

Nice conceptual overview. I can probably help you if you can give a more detailed description.

When someone comes to that section, what would they see? What would they be able to do? What sort of things would you need to be included? You indicate that there would be multiple documents. Who would create those documents?

I know you say you want a wiki, which is a shorthand, but it's been my experience that, when I write programs based on "I want it just like this," I have to start over from scratch when the person tells me what they want in detail.

pjr

Quote from: JPDeni on October 20, 2006, 01:49:50 AM
Nice conceptual overview. I can probably help you if you can give a more detailed description.

When someone comes to that section, what would they see? What would they be able to do? What sort of things would you need to be included? You indicate that there would be multiple documents. Who would create those documents?

I know you say you want a wiki, which is a shorthand, but it's been my experience that, when I write programs based on "I want it just like this," I have to start over from scratch when the person tells me what they want in detail.
LOL oh I know that all to well my friend been working in the computer field for over 25 years :)

Tell ya what let me do some poking and proding but one idea I have is to expand the article capabilities that exist now to allow multiple authors and maybe add a versioning cabability to allow changes to be rolled back.

JPDeni

You could very probably do it with just one php article and a few database tables. It's pretty amazing what can be done.

bloc

In fact..just adding a table similar to articles table - but with some extra fields for history etc. should be enough.

Sounds interesting.