TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 06:44:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,178
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 274
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 269
  • Total: 269

Whats up with these modules ??

Started by knat, September 09, 2006, 10:18:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knat

Ok i dont know if this is the right place to post this.. but what is up with these new modules that showed up after upgrading TP to 0.9.5 ??

If i try to use them it says "not implemented"

Is there something i need to install or is this something that will be available in future TP versions ??

G6Cad

Not implented gives you the answer,
The only module you can have there at the moment (the only module coded in to TP V.095) is download manager.
The other ones will come in future releases. Set them to off and they wont bother you at all ;)

gerrymo

That stuff is there for the skeleton for them being added later. As long as they are off as G6 says, they should simply be ignored for now.

Crip

I have become comfortably numb!

Cripzone | Crip's Free 2.0.2 Themes

Crip

I have become comfortably numb!

Cripzone | Crip's Free 2.0.2 Themes

knat

Okey thanks for the replys.. can i put a question here without starting a new topic  ???

How the hell do i delete Categories ??

It tells me that im not allowed to in this section ?? (articles >> Category manager >> delete category)

HELP  :o

gerrymo

Seems like you've found our first bug since the new release. I'll report it for you.

bloc

yes...Knat, you just discovered a bug lol. :) Easy to solve, just need to confirm first before I post the fix in the bugtracker.

gerrymo

I just added it to the bug tracker. Verified it on my test site.

christicehurst

These new modules are the biggest tease! Those were the things I was looking forward to, not articles....

G6Cad

Sorry to hear you werent happy with this release that Bloc have put 1000+ hours in

christicehurst

Quote from: Mrs G6 on September 11, 2006, 08:01:48 AM
Sorry to hear you werent happy with this release that Bloc have put 1000+ hours in

I understand Bloc has been many hours into it. It just wasn't as exciting as everyone made it out to be. Same thing with 1.1.rc3. But at least there's some good things in the pipeline for Tiny Portal.

G6Cad

We have in no way said there would be anything else in this release then discussed in the forum the past 4 months.
Same for SMF 1.1rc3, they have never said there would be new features in that version eather.
Bloc have stated that the roadmap will show the exact way and the things he do and build on for this release and the feature releases.
But i guess there will always be people that arent happy with the work people spend many hours in and share for free to all that wants to have it.

knat

christicehurst

Quote from: Mrs G6 on September 11, 2006, 09:24:09 AMBut i guess there will always be people that arent happy with the work people spend many hours in and share for free to all that wants to have it.

You're still getting upset about what I'm saying. Look I'm not a articles guy, because articles is the same thing as starting threads by what people have said to me at my own forum. I think Bloc has done a great job so far.

I think people shouldn't carried away with the Beta version thinking it's awesome or great. People would judge and I will on the whole package when the FINAL version is released. I think the final version will be very good and be more of the complete package.

My concern about Tiny Portal is not the design but the amount of people who work on it. Is it true that Bloc is the only person who codes this software. If so, I think that's pretty tough on him. What if (the heavens forbid) was hit by a bus, would anyone by able to stand up and take over? I have seen software done by the one guy, but you can never predict the future.

G6Cad

QuoteMy concern about Tiny Portal is not the design but the amount of people who work on it. Is it true that Bloc is the only person who codes this software.

Yes thats correct, Bloc is the sole Developer of Tinyportal.
He want to have it that way, he also have said that it takes the time it takes to get to the final release.
He does this for the fun of it and it's kind of his baby :)

And I'm not upset, just think that posts like that stating the dissapointments individually doesent quite apply to a forum where you have it all for free and where the developer makes this happend and listens to every one that have some thing to ask for of a wish they might have on diffrent thing.
This forum is quite unique that way, Bloc build this not for all his own ideas, if we wonder if something is possible with in TP, we ask, he say, OH, thats a great thing, lets try that, or No, thats to big to build in to TP, but may be as a feature mod :)
he is a great guy, and a great sole Dev for TP, so posts about dissapointments to a released free software don't quite add up in a forum like this INHO.
I don't say you cant be sad or disappointed for the lack of diffrent features, it's up to you what you feel, but i don't think posting about it is appropriate after all the hard work put in this even if it's on free will and terms from Bloc.

christicehurst

I won't post any feeback then. I understand where you come from. But I don't believe because it's free it's excluded from review.

G6Cad

Still didnt say that, just said that dissapointments on things featured in this new release dont belong quite well when no one here ever said there will be more features then it have.

Feedback is more then welcome to this community, as long as it is feedbacks and not dissapointments about what the release have or not have as features.
I can understand it if Bloc have promissed features in this release that then didnt applied them, but theres no such statments done ;)

But feedback on future releases is always welcome in every way :)

bloc

Of course its not excluded from review. Its already built largely on community feedback as well as my own ideas, so that goes without saying.

The issue of whether I really can manage being the sole developer...I have said something about this before, but will say it again: I NEED to keep the overview of this script. If more people work on it, it will drift away. Not what I want..its as simple as that. There are many talented coders, many much more knowledgable than myself. Therefore I left the doors open, in having php blocks and php articles, allowing any script to be added really. A risk, because its highly prone to severe errors, but also powerful I hope.

This will never be the "big" portal software, with multitudes of built-in modules etc. Hopefully it will rather be a easy way to make the forum look more like a website - or more accurate, to have the forum backend also deal with "normal" pages as a website has. Because SMF is very special - and this really makes it impossible to just transfer to other forum software - in its way of dealing with themes and security.

I am firm believer in small efficient programs that do exactly what they say, rather than bloated all-the-features-you-never-use types.

ArokkDarkkstarr

If you want something overly bloated with a bunch of stuff you will never use, there ARE other options. I prefer TP because it is sleek, efficient, and easy to deal with. I can add a new administrator and have them posting articles in 5 minutes. To me, that is a heck of a lot better than spending 3 hours showing them what I use, what I don't use, and why.

Great work, Bloc! It's better to specialize in one thing, do it better than everyone else, and let others bring in the extras, with similar philosophies.

Jim R

Being new I'm still sorting out a lot of the features.  I'm definitely looking forward to the Team Manager.   :knuppel2: