TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 10:02:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 112
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 52
  • Total: 52

Widening forum but not TP front page;possible?

Started by bluedevil, July 12, 2009, 02:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

Widening forum but not TP front page;possible?

Is it really?   I tried resizing the "wrapper" to 100% in .css file.  Yeah,it widens the forum but TP page as well too.

Is there a way to leave TP front page be and only widen the forum? 

Thanx,Mick.

ZarPrime

bluedevil,

To do what you want to do would probably require not only a new entry in the style.css file for the custom theme but also an edit to the custom theme to pickup a different width for the front page.  Since you are using a theme from http://www.dzinerstudio.com/ you may be better off asking this question there, especially since the edits required will be for the custom theme.

ZarPrime

EDIT:  I can't tell which theme you are using, but it looks like DSv4, one of their premium themes.  They give support for their premium themes right on their site.

Mick

Ill try them.

I always thought that not always TP blocks look right with the page wide.  Everytime i create an article or block,i have to remember that not all users own a wide screen monitor or laptop.   The forum on the other hand, looks great wide.

ZarPrime

I've never had any trouble showing blocks whether on the front page or the forum with a wide setting.  Like you, I generally don't use the right panel.  As long as the left panel width is set correctly for the content in your blocks, you shouldn't have any problem showing the front page with a wide setting.  Have a look at my site.  Click the little world icon below my avatar, and have a look at the front page.

ZarPrime 

IchBin

You could set the width in index.template.php by checking for TP's frontpage setting:

if($context['TPortal']['not_forum'])
    echo 'set frontpage width, which also affects article pages';
else
    echo 'set width for everything else';

From there, I'll let you figure out the HTML to do the rest.

Mick

I'll try your code Bin when I get home.  Thanx!

The idea behind all this is, I want to widen the forum but not tp's front page.  Later to add an image in the background only visible in the front page.

ZarPrime

After reading your guy's posts, I thought of another possible way.  There is a somewhat undocumented, though not unknown, feature of TP that might work for you.

Right now you have your Forum set to use the DSv4 theme.  If you changed the width of that one to be 100% (or 90% or whatever) and then uploaded another instance of the DSv4 theme (rename it "dsv4narrow" or something like that to keep track of it) and set your featured article to use only that theme, then your front page should use the narrow version of the theme while the rest of the Forum should you use the original theme that you edited the width wider for.  I think that might work.

ZarPrime

Mick

Quote from: ZarPrime on July 13, 2009, 08:50:08 PM
After reading your guy's posts, I thought of another possible way.  There is a somewhat undocumented, though not unknown, feature of TP that might work for you.

Right now you have your Forum set to use the DSv4 theme.  If you changed the width of that one to be 100% (or 90% or whatever) and then uploaded another instance of the DSv4 theme (rename it "dsv4narrow" or something like that to keep track of it) and set your featured article to use only that theme, then your front page should use the narrow version of the theme while the rest of the Forum should you use the original theme that you edited the width wider for.  I think that might work.

ZarPrime

Great idea!  It makes me think tho',.... i may have to add my website's logo and edit the navigation bar?

Mick

Im hooked!   It works but it will take lots of edits.

I can have 2 logos 2 footers,etc.  2 of everything :o

Mick

LOL!   You're a genius.  Thank you ZP & Bin for your responses.  I never thought of that even tho i knew about this option but never cared to use it.   Wow,i can have 2 logos.  lol.........

I copied my entire index.template to my new renamed theme and thats it.

Off i go to create a new banner.   Woot!

Renegd98

Zetan

I used to do exactly what ZarPrime suggested with our Gallery board :up:  I used another instance of the same theme set wider.. It's just a pain when you want to change themes or make alterations. I was using the theme for several articles and a long time after I changed the main site theme I'd find pages with the gallery theme.

You also need to consider that going to the wider "Forum" theme will have to load all the images again, because it is two different themes, making the process slower.

Here's two versions of Invazion that I used as our site theme for a while:
Normal: http://www.slayingsteel.com/index.php?theme=30

Gallery: http://www.slayingsteel.com/index.php?theme=32
The Gallery theme uses a different header and is a fluid width, 96% I think.

Ignore the fact that the content doesn't fit properly, we don't use this theme at the mo.

ZarPrime

Quote from: bluedevil on July 13, 2009, 10:11:19 PM
LOL!   You're a genius.  Thank you ZP & Bin for your responses.  I never thought of that even tho i knew about this option but never cared to use it.   Wow,i can have 2 logos.  lol.........

I copied my entire index.template to my new renamed theme and thats it.

Off i go to create a new banner.   Woot!

Bluedevil,

Thanks for that, and @RG98 and @ Ichbin, thank you guys as well, but I've certainly never thought of myself in that way (a genius huh, you guys are going to make me blush :D).  TinyPortal makes a lot of stuff possible that you wouldn't normally think of, and as you can see, Zetan had this idea and used it long before I did.  Good job Zetan.

Bluedevil, I've had a look at your site and it looks great like that so far.  If you don't mind, I would appreciate it if you would consider posting a new topic at some point after you're done making your edits, and document exactly what you did to make this work (with a more descriptive subject that would show up good in a search).  This might be a topic that would help a lot of people out there that are looking to do the same thing you did.  You could describe in a little bit of detail what you did with editing a second instance of the theme and how it can be used to have a second banner, etc.  I feel this might be a good thing to have on here somewhere as a reference and after you've made it, we can decide where best to place it. :up:

Glad it worked for you.  Keep up the good work and let us know when you've finished your edits so that we can see the site.

ZarPrime

Mick

Thanx....

No problem,ill write something soon with complete details. :coolsmiley:

Zetan

Zar, It's great that you came to the same conclusion, :up: It doesn't matter who thought of it first, I just did what I needed to do at the time. I think there could be a way to do the same thing without using two different themes and two different sets of images.. It's what worked for me at the time :)