TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 23, 2024, 06:04:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,197
  • Total Topics: 21,221
  • Online today: 67
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 51
  • Total: 51

Why do my left and right blocks disappear when viewing an article?

Started by kmccann, June 01, 2007, 08:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmccann

Hi,

I created an "About" article and placed a link to it in a menu. When I view the article, only header and the article are shown. The left and right blocks disappear. I have the show left blocks and show right blocks checked for this article (in fact I toggled all checkboxes yes, just to make sure).

The only other thing I have done is go to Panels and disable left and right blocks when viewing the forums. Does this setting also affect the viewing of articles? If not, what els emight be causing the left and right blocks to disappear when viewing an article that does not have them disabled?

Page in question:  http://smfsite.in2pool.com/index.php?page=9

Thanks,
Kevin

tick

When you are viewing the article down at the bottom you will see two option.  One is edit article and the other is edit options.  Go to the edit options and make sure you have the boxes checked for the side panels to show.

kmccann

Hi,

Thanks, but I do have those checked, which is why I'm puzzled. In fact, the "Visual Option A' which comes with PT has all options checked, too, and it also has no left and right blocks when it is viewed. See:

http://smfsite.in2pool.com/index.php?page=5

It truly is strange.

- Kevin

tick

On your blocks that you have at the bottom where it says show for this custom action  what do you have for that.  I also noticed that the blocks are turned off in the fourm.

kmccann

I'm not sure what you mean by "blocks that you have at the bottom where it says show for this custom action". I don;t see any "show for this custom action" option anywhere.

The reason the left and right blocks do not show up when in the forum is because I configured it that way:

TP Settings --> Panels

I set both "Hide left panel when in forum" and "Hide right panel when in forum" to NO because this is the behavior I want (to hide them when in the forums).

Here are all of the desired behaviors:

1) See left and right blocks on homepage
2) See at least the left blocks when viewing articles, possibly right, too (haven't decided)
3) See neither left nor right blocks when in the forums

For option 2, I currently have the articles set to show both left and right, but neither are showing, and I'm wondering if it's because I have the left and right panels set to NO when in Forums. Or is something else causing it.

Thanks,
Kevin

tick

This option I was talking about is in each block.   If you go to edit on a block that you have you will see this option at the bottom.  But as for as the settings being turned off in the forum causing this problem try to turn it on to see if it is the cause of it not showing up in the article.

kmccann

HI,

Thanks for suggesting turning the panels back on. I should have thought of that. And that's exactly what the problem is. It affects the panels when viewing articles, not just when in the forums. Bummer. Can/should I file a bug report?

- Kevin

kmccann

OK, this is strange. Somew things are now working, but not others. I have these settings:

Use left panel:  ON
Hide left panel when in forum:  YES

Use right panel:  OFF
Hide right panel when in forum:  YES

1) When in the forums, there is no left or right panel  (GOOD)
2) When viewing a basic article (index.php?page=9), left is on, right is off  (GOOD)
3) When viewing the home page, the right panel is on  (BAD)

So, the only remaining problem is that I can't turn off the right panel when viewing the homepage. I tried turning off all the blocks, but the layout still leaves a space for the right panel instead of filling out the page..

tick

Ok look in your admin panel under the tp settings.   Go to the front page tab and check and see what you have for  "Visual options for frontpage"  all of these should be unchecked if you dont wont any of them to show

kmccann

Bingo! This was driving me nuts. Thanks for the help.

- Kevin