TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 04:49:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,174
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 167
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 113
  • Total: 113

Articles Question

Started by Yellowrose, March 31, 2007, 01:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yellowrose

Not sure this is the right place but looks like there have been a few changes to the forums since my last visit. Not even sure you can help but here goes.

Before I obtained my main site it was located on a network. When there is was powered by Vbulletin. We had an articles section with articles that had been submitted by members and staff to give help and information on game topics related to the game the site represents. Not long after the site was upgraded to VB 3.6.2 the articles section becaume unavailable due to outdated VB templates.

I just recently came accross all the VB database sql files that contain all the we thought lost articles. Is there a way to to convert these database files so they can be used in the TP Articles module??

I have never done this before even if it can be done. But would like to know if it is at all possible. We have members who got a lot of use fron the articles and have been asking if they are coming back. I would really like to make use of the TP articles module to again make them available.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer or a direction I can look in for help.

IchBin

This is not possible without having someone write you a custom script that would do this. As for the question if someone will do it, I guess you'll have to wait and see. :)

Yellowrose

Thanks for the response Ich. I guess I'll have to do it the way I thought. Sift through the whole sql file and manually pull the needed data and just enter it as a new article.

Is there a way to edit the author of the articles that are put in TP articles. And while I'm at it is there a way to alter who submitted a download and change it from and admin that has uploaded to the actual file author?

IchBin

You can only edit those things in the database. You could perhaps write up a little script to grab the data from your table and display it all in a page so that you could just copy/paste your stuff into articles.

Yellowrose

not me I'm afraid. I can use copy and paste to edit stuff but writing my own?? not a chance I don't know enough to be able to do that...that's why I mentioned siffting through it all to find what I need to pull out. that I can probably do even though it's going to take time that's about all I have right now...lol

Thanks for the help and input though Ich it's very much appreciated.

IchBin

Well, I didn't mean to imply that "you" could do it. I meant to say that its possible, but it would require a bit of work. :) Sounds like you got your work cut out for you though.