TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 04:48:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,178
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 151
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 106
  • Total: 106

WINDOWS VISTA LMAO!!!!!!

Started by TolerancE, February 07, 2007, 12:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TolerancE

yeah I waited almost 18 months after XP was out before I upgraded.

superQ

Norton is the worst to uninstall.  I removed NAV 2003 and personal firewall 2003 less than two years ago. It wasn't that bad.They have removal tools on their site that you have to run to supposedly clean out the registry--not.

I advise using tuneup utilities reg cleaner and maybe crap cleaner and maybe regseeker--all safe to delete everything it finds imo. They all make backups so even if something happens you can recover.

I had everything in a folder on my desktop that I needed to run[still got it if you have 2003]. I think you have to do it in some order too but it is not bad. It sucks that you have to do it but not too bad..

http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

you can probably get a free version of kaspersky antivirus 6.0 [I just saw it somewhere for free after rebate]and use comodo firewall it it excellent and free.It works and  they play nice together.  norton just ain't worth it with the price of subscriptions renewal.Might as well get a new version.Comodo has many usefull and great freeware.

http://www.comodo.com/products/free_products.html

comodo has great usefull freeware..

I would not use their antivirus just yet. but when it comes out of beta I will try it.It will work by looking for suspicious activity rather than defined virii. it will be great I think.

you could use avg free and comodo firewall and pay nothing and have vista ready to install now.

I never had a problem with any antivirus I ever had and considering where Q has been :knuppel2: I am either lucky or the ones I had were great.

whoops time for csi and shark --later

pvcblue

Quote from: superQ on February 09, 2007, 01:52:34 AM
Norton is the worst to uninstall.  I removed NAV 2003 and personal firewall 2003 less than two years ago. It wasn't that bad.They have removal tools on their site that you have to run to supposedly clean out the registry--not.

Never had a problem with uninstalling Norton, now McAfee, that's a horror story!

superQ

Maybe just nav 2003 was the problem. Never was too impressed with Mcafee so never had it.Marian don't have it either.

It is impossible to remove Nav 2003 antivirus completely via add/remove programs or their own uninstaller for that matter. I got rid of of it and never looked back. If you didn't use the extra removal software you probably didn't get it all no matter what version you used.I wanted to be rid of it completely so i used all the extras.

Before I used them[the extras] the ca antivirus I used next would not install.Detected presence of another antivirus which I just removed via NAV uninstaller. CA antivirus removed like anyother software and was good stuff--and free.It left a load of stuff in the registry, which did not affect installation of the kaspersky, and was easily removed.

Remember what marian said

"If I could get Norton uninstalled I would have gone through with installing Vista today"

It is not really a problem it is more of a pain.

I hope the final comodo antivirus comes out before the kaspersky year is up and Q has to spring for definitions :oyou gotta be nuts :idiot2: to pay for antivirus

AVG is more than good enough for most purposes. Now if you are say--Crip, you need some serious protection and may have to actually pay bigtime.... >:D

Go COLTS.......

Skyview

Quote from: TolerancE on February 07, 2007, 12:40:55 AM
Can ANYONE be this ignorant? Wait! I don't want to know the answer. :o

It's been many years since I did pc and app support work, but to answer the question...YES...people can be that ignorant.

BTW, to those who mentioned problems with Norton, etc. I would get it off the system (manually if you know how) and never reinstall another Norton product. Their old dos products worked great before Symantec days, but the current products are horrible resource hogs and I spent the better part of an afternoon getting rid of every trace that it had ever been on the system. I installed Kaspersky and have not had any trouble with anything getting through since, and it doesn't bog down my laptop.

mnichols7

Ok, I downloaded Norton removal tool and was able to remove it. So, I am now in the progress of installing Vista.  I am on Lauren's computer in her bedroom.  It tells me it will take several hours to install.  I am only doing a upgrade.

mnichols7

Now, I ran into some problems after installation and I want to share what I learned here with all of you.Ã,  I did an upgrade, which meant I would keep all my files and settings.Ã,  As you know I had to remove my virus program, Norton did have a removal tool, so it wasn't too bad.

But Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer would not work.Ã,  Clicking on the icon E usually logs me onto the net, but it would freeze with me instead.Ã,  I sought help from the online source and my problem was the Explorer's addons, like flash player and so on.Ã, 

I needed to go to 'tools' on the menu bar of IE, but it would not respond.Ã,  By accident, I learned that when I opened the compatibility scan, and click on the web address of any of the programs there that needed updating, that I was able to get online, Explorer worked and responded.

So I opened 'tools', and click 'manage addons, and disabled all except two that would not allow it.Ã,  I restarted IE and like magic it opened and so did Windows explorer.Ã,  I added back Flash and Google and it is still working.

So my advice to any who wish to take the upgrade rout instead of a clean install to disable before hand all addons for IE

It is working fine now and I love it so far.Ã,  And it is fast!

alan s

Im installing it on my laptop now , Have to free up some harddrive space first! Grrrrr! lol

mnichols7

Well good luck and try not to get to flustered like I did.  I was asking myself, why did I want to upgrade when everything was working so well.  :idiot2:

But I am glad I did. :up:

alan s

Lol i just want to upgrade to see what its like , If i like it i'll install it onto my main computer , If i dont like it i'll wait another while to upgrade onto my main computer