TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 05:22:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,188
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 149
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 132
  • Total: 132

A few suggestions...

Started by Oldiesmann, October 19, 2005, 01:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldiesmann

1. Use the bbcode parsing functions in SMF instead of re-creating them. I don't really see a need to have a seperate bbcode parsing function when the ones in SMF will work just fine...

2. Add a "shoutbox archive" function that lets you see all shouts that have been made (like the Ultimate Soutbox mod does).

3. Add support for specifying which post-based groups can view a block or submit articles. I can think of situations where you might not want someone to be able to submit articles until they've made a certain number of posts, and it would also allow you to give them access to more features (by showing more blocks with extra features in them) once they've posted more.

4. More RSS/XML feed options - sometimes the contents from an RSS/XML feed won't fit in a single block. It would be nice to be able to have articles based on data feeds, as well as an option to specify how many items to display.

I'd also like a "Random Poll" block of some sort. There aren't many polls on my site, and once you've voted in all of them, the ssi_recent_poll function isn't real useful...

Other than that, keep up the good work. TinyPortal is a lot of fun :)

bloc

1. Yes, i will..this have been dorment for a while, the reason I just copied it earlier was to eliminate some unwanted bbcodes. But I think it can be done by other means instead. Keeping old code in newer versions is not good.

2.This is also long overdue...

3. this I have been a bit reluctant about...i will need to add precedence check on it at least.

4.Its really more suitable for a centerblock/frontblock - which expand the whole width..but options to tailorsuit the output is planned.

5. random block...that might be possible too.

Thanks for your ideas, oldiesmann. :)

btw, did you notice the new thumbnail function of the theme-chooser at this site? ;)

IchBin

Quote from: Bloc on October 19, 2005, 01:47:56 AM

btw, did you notice the new thumbnail function of the theme-chooser at this site? ;)

Wow, I didn't notice that. That is awesome!

iowamf

nice theme scrolling box - it looks like a blogroll.

perhaps instead of theme_names - it was screen_names of people in a group with rights to submit articles?  Selecting a screen_name would bring up their articles in the center in chrono-order with the ability for others to comment.

Boom - you've got basic blogging.

I don't want to see tinyportal get complicated with too many features - tiny & simple has it virtues - but I have seen Bloc ask for blogging ideas in the forums so I thought I'd throw in my $0.02 as I frequent (too many) blogs.

bloc

Basically the themebox just exchange the thumbnail it finds in each themes images folder, but for this blog-like feature it will need to exchange links instead. thats what you mean?

iowamf

I don't know what you did with the theme box - so I can't compare anything to that - but I'll try to explain anyway.

From an end-users perspective, I saw what you did with the theme box and saw that like a future blogroll.
By blogroll, I mean a list of screen_names  who blog instead of a list of themes. 

If an end-user selected a screen_name - that bloggers "articles" would show up in the portal in chrono-order.

The way I understand articles is that the admin must enable a membergroup to submit articles via TPADMIN->SUBMISSIONS and when an article is submitted, the admin approves it, assigns it to a category and it will show up somewhere on the site (front page or under a link in the Content block).

The blogging interface would be similar to articles - the admin would have to enable the ability for members to blog. The difference would be the "article" (blog entry) would be automatically categorized as a user's blog entry.

My thought process was a way to implement simple blogging using as much of the existing system as possible.

Example, the idea would be for TP to add another membergroup called "bloggers" and everyone in that membgroup would be listed in the blogroll. The individuals in that membergroup would have an extra option in their "User" panel similar to "Submit an article" - but would say: "Submit a blog entry".

The admin would still have to manually add screen_names to the blogger membergroup.

This is just a suggestion - feel free to file to /dev/null - you get mountains of great suggestions and it's your project.

I've been looking at WordPress, Drupal & Joomla to add blogging - but WordPress & Drupal don't have good integration with SMF logins and Joomla is a sh'load of extra baggage when all I want is to enable a handful of bloggers.

Regards -

PS - what WYSIWG editor are you looking at ... TinyMCE?

Oldiesmann

The thumbnail is nice. However, I still want it to keep me on the same page when I change themes...

JayBachatero

Quote from: Oldiesmann on October 21, 2005, 09:11:39 PM
The thumbnail is nice. However, I still want it to keep me on the same page when I change themes...

Yea thats the only issue at the moment with the theme picker it takes you back to the index page.

bloc

I will see what i can do. As of now i haven't made it a permanent change either..I think many like to just try out themes and expect it to come back to the original later on?

JayBachatero

Quote from: Bloc on October 22, 2005, 01:23:02 AM
I will see what i can do. As of now i haven't made it a permanent change either..I think many like to just try out themes and expect it to come back to the original later on?

Im talking about changin a theme and stayin at the location you were at instead of going to the board index again.