TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 04:09:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,178
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 151
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 101
  • Total: 101

WINDOWS VISTA LMAO!!!!!!

Started by TolerancE, February 07, 2007, 12:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TolerancE

Ok, so many of you know that I am a broadband tech and spend countless hours dealing with "people" concerning their internet and technical issues.

Well this one ranks right up there with my previous Windows 99 story. (Search for it if you haven't read it)

Well, today I had a guy call up because his Windows Vista wasn't working right. He said he bought the software and it wouldnt run and kept giving him a disc error. Well, I started asking him the specs on about his PC to find out if it even supports a Vista upgrade and the guy kept saying "Huh!?! I dont reckon I have me a CPU!" 

A CPU? (Have not heard that term used since Nintendo used it to identify your opponent in single player games.)

So I quickly asked him how he planned on using this if he had no computer. He replied, "It's not for a computer, its for my hi-def TV and DVD system. This guy believed that he could install Vista on his DVD player and get the same PC functions off of his DVD and hi-def as he could on a PC. He said he wanted to use the web tv feature.

WEB F'n TV!!!!!!!

I had no tolerance (excuse the pun) and I simply laughed at this guy and disconnected the call. This seriously had to be a prank.

Can ANYONE be this ignorant? Wait! I don't want to know the answer. :o

IchBin

And this is your problem how? lol That is too funny....

mnichols7

Oh he was a male blond. ;D

I have ordered a copy for myself, should be here tomorrow.  I went to the Microsoft web site and a scan was done of my computer and it past the scan with only my scanner needing updated drivers.  But after visiting a few other forums where it is being discussed, I am a little leery of installing it now.  I have made a backup of files; if I should encounter problems I can re-install XP.

Has anybody here upgraded yet?

IchBin

I've said it somewhere here before, but as a general rule I don't update a Microsoft product until the first service pack release at least. XP will be a good operating system for quite some time. I'm in no hurry to update.

mnichols7

It just arrived by DHL.  I have got butterflies in my stomach at the thought of installing it and then having problems. It is the Vista Home Premium.  It is the full version although I know it would have been a hundred dollars cheaper if I had brought the upgrade instead but I detest upgrades!  I have run into problems with them and if you ever want or need to format you must use the older product first.

mnichols7

mnichols7

Well I will not be installing it, at least not now.  It wants you to uninstalled Norton first and Norton will not uninstall.  That is if I just want to upgrade and keep all my files, I could do a clean install and lose everything but I am not ready to reinstall all my software just now.

But the next time I need to format my hard drive, I'll install it then.

pvcblue

Quote from: IchBinâ„¢ on February 08, 2007, 09:09:36 PM
I've said it somewhere here before, but as a general rule I don't update a Microsoft product until the first service pack release at least. XP will be a good operating system for quite some time. I'm in no hurry to update.

I am with Ichbin on this one, I have a Dell XPS600, and after reading thru all the horror stories on the Dell forums about Vista not having drivers and other things to support programs and parts in most computers including the Dell models, I will be waiting until it is broke in more.

gdblaster

i just bought and installed windows vista business and everything it's ok! it is faster than my old xp! and it installed drivers (from Microsoft) for all my devices! i just love this os! i will keep it and i will erase my win xp installation!

mnichols7

Did you do a clean installation, where your drive was wipe clean?  I didn't want to lose my programs or have to go through the trouble of reinstalling everything so I am holding off for awhile.

If I could get Norton uninstalled I would have gone through with installing Vista today.  I have never had any luck uninstalling virus protection program with the remove system in control panel.  I had to go and download a removal tool from McAfee to get it off of Lauren's computer.

Have anyone else had that problem?  And if so, how did you handle it?