TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 05:54:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,174
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 167
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 120
  • Total: 120

SMF mods

Started by IchBin, March 20, 2006, 12:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldacar

I get confused easily. And yes I did misread your last post sorry :(

QuoteAs I've said several times before - if SMF is good enough for you, then by all means, use it. The price is right and the features are sufficient.
There is also a large link on the top bar to the support page, and the community forum, whereas there isn't for Mods or features.

QuoteHaving a package manager also makes a claim, even though SMF doesn't write any of the mods - if they did, they'd simply package it in with the core install.
There are many mods made by the SMF team. They're produced as mods because the team has decided that they don't want them as standard features, even though the coding may be completely up to the standards.

TwinsX2Dad

Quote from: eldacar on March 20, 2006, 09:55:03 AM
I get confused easily. And yes I did misread your last post sorry :(

No problem - and my apologies if I sound a bit harsh at times. It is really not intentional. I am doing several things at once and sometimes my frustration comes through.

Quote from: eldacar on March 20, 2006, 09:55:03 AMThere is also a large link on the top bar to the support page, and the community forum, whereas there isn't for Mods or features.

Yes, true - but what catches your eye (at http://simplemachines.org) is the graphics menu at top center.

Quote from: eldacar on March 20, 2006, 09:55:03 AMThere are many mods made by the SMF team. They're produced as mods because the team has decided that they don't want them as standard features, even though the coding may be completely up to the standards.

Okay - my wording was too vague there. I know many of the mods are written by members of the SMF 'team' but are they official releases? I'd also bet that more than one of the mods I had conflicts with were probably the creation of one of the 'team' members.

The question on mods would be along the lines of "is it an official release or not?" If it is an official release, then the burden of compatibility is greater. If it is not an official release, why is it featured on the official site?

A long time ago, I was a 'team' member for a phpBB fork. I wrote mods for it, but since I was not an actual part of the development of this particular fork, it mattered not what I wrote - it was not an official release, nor was it an 'approved' mod. I might post it in the support forums, just like any member could, but it was never available for official download. If there were mod issues, it was the mod writer's baby.

eldacar

In the old site design there used to be a warning saying that the third party mods had to be installed at the forum admin's own risk, I'm not sure where that went to.
There are also some very dodgy mods, one I've reported allows anyone anywhere to run some very important SMF functions.

The only official SMF packages are the security updates, which generally don't seem to have problems. They normally touch only important security related source files. if there are clashes, you have to ask what mod is being installed that would change those important security functions.

TwinsX2Dad

Quote from: eldacar on March 20, 2006, 10:25:02 AMone I've reported allows anyone anywhere to run some very important SMF functions.

Now that is scary. I wonder if it ever appeared in the Featured Mod section?   :coolsmiley:

Time for me to recheck the server logs to make sure no one has been accessing my SMF. 

eldacar

No its not a featured mod. It only allows you to run functions, with no variables passed, but it could still cause problems.