TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 05:54:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,174
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 147
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 124
  • Total: 125
  • @rjen

TinyPortal 1.6.4 and Ultimate Menu mod?

Started by jernatety, September 23, 2019, 05:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jernatety

I'm wondering if this current update affects "Ultimate Menu" mod. I uninstalled 1.6.3 this morning and installed 1.6.4. After install 3 links disappeared from my ultimate menu. When I look in my ultimate menu settings they're still there listed as active. I tried deactivating them and re-activating them and nothing happens. They still don't show up on my menu.

Locate Rink
All Topics
Parents info 101

None of them show up but they're still in my menu settings listed as active.

@rjen

Have you tried what happened putting 163 back?
Running Latest TP on SMF2.1 at: www.fjr-club.nl

jernatety

Quote from: @rjen on September 23, 2019, 05:38:46 PM
Have you tried what happened putting 163 back?

After I uninstall I always delete the prior version.

@rjen

jernatety

Quote from: @rjen on September 23, 2019, 06:04:18 PM
Simple: upload it again

Ok, I'll do that tomorrow morning. I have a pretty hot topic going right now and can't go into maintenance mode yet.

lurkalot

Just testing the Ultimate Menu mod as I type, it seems to work well ok so far with TP 1.6.4, and I upgraded from TP 1.6.3 to 1.6.4 after testing the menu mod.

I have tabs added using the TP menu manager, and tabs using the Ultimate Menu mod running side by side.

Haven't tested the child menus yet.

jernatety

Quote from: lurkalot on September 23, 2019, 06:17:47 PM
Just testing the Ultimate Menu mod as I type, it seems to work well ok so far with TP 1.6.4, and I upgraded from TP 1.6.3 to 1.6.4 after testing the menu mod.

I have tabs added using the TP menu manager, and tabs using the Ultimate Menu mod running side by side.

Haven't tested the child menus yet.

Hi Mick, of those 3 I posted, I also have two submenu items configured for "Locate Rink" within that so there's actually 5 menu items missing. Attached is a look of my menu. Button Positions has some weird stuff listed.

lurkalot

Mine looks the same as yours with or without TP installed, but all the links show and work perfectly.  I can even re-order them before or after the tabs added by TP.

Have you changed anything else on your site?

@rjen

Just looking at the source code of your site and as far as i can see the button references in the image you posted are not there...

so it seems the options you are missing a referring to a key of a menu option that is no longer there.
There is nothing different in TP164 for TP163 that would affect this (at least nothing I can think of) so I can only assume there is something else that has somehow affected a menu option in the MOD you are using...

Looking at the references it seems that one menu option may be missing, and the others are referring to the missing key? Could it be that you have deleted a menu option that the others are linking to?

By the way: I checked this web archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20190426102843/https://www.youthhockeyinfo.com/

I do not see any menu options that are now missing? Are these options only for logged in members?

jernatety

Not sure where, why or how but when I installed 1.6.4 it definitely broke Ultimate menu. I had to completely uninstall 1.6.4 and ultimate menu then re-install 1.6.3 and ultimate menu again.

The web archive is my old version from last year and that is how it used to look. I have no idea why Waybackmachine is archiving it that way. It hasn't had that index since last Christmas 2018

As the site evolves I make little changes after asking the guests and members use or don't use certain functionality. The original TOP graphical menu I had was removed because nobody used it.

lurkalot

Try installing 1.6.4 again and see if it breaks it again.  I haven't been able to reptoduce your problem yet.

jernatety

Quote from: lurkalot on September 24, 2019, 02:17:27 PM
Try installing 1.6.4 again and see if it breaks it again.  I haven't been able to reptoduce your problem yet.

Ok, I uninstalled 1.6.3 and checked. The links are removed when 1.6.3 is uninstalled. I added all of the links back this morning after uninstalling .4 and reinstalling .3. Now that I've uninstalled .3 again, half of the links vanished.

jernatety

Quote from: lurkalot on September 23, 2019, 07:43:59 PM
Mine looks the same as yours with or without TP installed, but all the links show and work perfectly.  I can even re-order them before or after the tabs added by TP.

Have you changed anything else on your site?

Nope, nothing has changed for several months except for adding and removing blocks from TP front page and creating new articles.

Additionally, with 1.6.4 installed I cannot add links to my ultimate menu. All links are still there in the ultimate menu ACP but the ones that disappear don't work. I removed them and added them back and they still don't show up. The only way they'll show up is if I uninstall 1.6.4, reinstall 1.6.3. Then go back into ultimate menu, delete the links and then recreate them again.

Cntrl F5 and Shift F5 results in no changes.

jernatety

Now it works again after uninstalling .4, reinstalling .3 and reinstalling ultimate menu.

@rjen

Strange, I have just installed ultimate menu on a test forum and I can add menu buttons without  any issues with TP164 installed.

There is a dependency between the menu manager in TP and ultimate menu: when I add a ultimate menu item with a dependency of a TinyPortal menu item the ultimate menu option will not show.

Did you add menu options with TinyPortal menu manager? And did you mix Ultimate menu menu items with TP menu items?

@rjen

Cannot find any issues: have installed ultimate menu, installed 164, uninstalled 164, tested again, installed 163, tested, uninstalled 163, tested, installed 164 again...

I do not see any issues...

jernatety

Quote from: @rjen on September 24, 2019, 04:16:38 PM
Strange, I have just installed ultimate menu on a test forum and I can add menu buttons without  any issues with TP164 installed.

There is a dependency between the menu manager in TP and ultimate menu: when I add a ultimate menu item with a dependency of a TinyPortal menu item the ultimate menu option will not show.

Did you add menu options with TinyPortal menu manager? And did you mix Ultimate menu menu items with TP menu items?

I don't know what the deal is but ultimate menu won't work correctly for me with 164. I'm not concerned, I'm going to stay on 163 until TP 2.0 comes out. At which point I'm either going to upgrade to SMF 2.1 or stay on 2.0.15 until 2.1 is stable and I'll just give up ultimate menu altogether.

@rjen

I think I have an idea where the issue starts: Tinyportal adds an extra menu option: 'Forum'. This is added via the file Tpassimilate.php.

I believe Ultimate Menu does not 'like' this menu option: When I create a menu item and I set it to appear after 'Forum' it does not show up at all. If I set it to show after The first menu option (Home) it actually shows after Forum, which is the second menu option (!).

Somehow the ultimate menu does not recognize the Forum option: so you cannot use it. If you do, menu options do NOT show. This is both the case in 1.6.3 and 1.6.4. It does not seem that the 164 package is causing this.
I suspect you added the Ultimate menu package when 163 was running, and this is the first update since?

I did some checking and testing, and it seems that Ultimate Menu works fine as long as you do not link a menu option to the Forum menu option. If you have a menu option linked to forum the installation of TP results in problems...
I could resolve this problem by deleting all menu items in Ultimate menu and recreate the menu options without uninstalling TP 164...

In short: seems to be a rare conflict... not sure if we can fix it: mght actually be something with Ultimate menu...

jernatety

Quote from: @rjen on September 24, 2019, 08:35:05 PM
I think I have an idea where the issue starts: Tinyportal adds an extra menu option: 'Forum'. This is added via the file Tpassimilate.php.

I believe Ultimate Menu does not 'like' this menu option: When I create a menu item and I set it to appear after 'Forum' it does not show up at all. If I set it to show after The first menu option (Home) it actually shows after Forum, which is the second menu option (!).

Somehow the ultimate menu does not recognize the Forum option: so you cannot use it. If you do, menu options do NOT show. This is both the case in 1.6.3 and 1.6.4. It does not seem that the 164 package is causing this.
I suspect you added the Ultimate menu package when 163 was running, and this is the first update since?

I did some checking and testing, and it seems that Ultimate Menu works fine as long as you do not link a menu option to the Forum menu option. If you have a menu option linked to forum the installation of TP results in problems...
I could resolve this problem by deleting all menu items in Ultimate menu and recreate the menu options without uninstalling TP 164...

In short: seems to be a rare conflict... not sure if we can fix it: mght actually be something with Ultimate menu...

Ok, thank you for confirming. I do not recall when specifically ultimate menu was installed to be honest but your summary sounds accurate. I'll try installing 164 tomorrow and re-do all of my menu links over.

@rjen

Just stay clear of linking a menu option to 'Forum' and you should be fine.

lurkalot

Quote from: @rjen on September 24, 2019, 09:06:42 PM
Just stay clear of linking a menu option to 'Forum' and you should be fine.

Interesting.  That must be the only option I didn't try, lol..  Glad you found it.  O0