TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 02:17:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,178
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 65
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 58
  • Total: 58

Integration with the Gallery project

Started by GJSchaller, August 16, 2005, 06:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJSchaller

I know there is a gallery on the to-do list - I would like to suggest something to make your life a lot easier.  ;)

Integrate TinyBloc with:

http://gallery.menalto.com/

It's open-source, and already integrates with other portals (Nuke, Mambo, etc.).  It's also an excellent system, so you don't need to make one from the ground up.  With only a little bit of work, it should snap right in with your project.

Nokonium

Interesting but I'm waiting for Bloc, 'coz what he incudes will be seamless.

IchBin

You can have gallery work with TinyPortal already. I'm not sure what you mean I guess. Are you talking about Bloc's themes? That's a whole different animal. I seem to remember Bloc saying he was going to add his own gallery to tinyportal though.

GJSchaller

Quote from: IchBinÃÆ'ââ,¬Å¡ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â,¬Å¾Ã,¢ on August 16, 2005, 08:29:26 PM
You can have gallery work with TinyPortal already. I'm not sure what you mean I guess. Are you talking about Bloc's themes? That's a whole different animal. I seem to remember Bloc saying he was going to add his own gallery to tinyportal though.

Gallery has a membership system, where users can register, log in, upload & comment on photos, etc.ÃÆ'ââ,¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ,  It can pull its user information from a portal system that it is integrated with, to make it nearly seamless.ÃÆ'ââ,¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ,  That, and the themes, too (Same colors, blocks, etc.).

I'm using Gallery embedded in PHP-Nuke now (and I want to drop nuke like a ... well, like a nuke...), and the integration is nearly seamless.ÃÆ'ââ,¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ,  You can see it at http://gallery.knightrealms.com as an example of the embedded version (vs. the non-embedded version at http://www.knightrealms.com/modules/Gallery ).

IchBin

TinyPortal uses the SMF forums membership system too. Which is why I suggested you can have TinyPortal and the Gallery on the same system. Only thing TinyPortal won't do at the moment is share it's theme. I actually use the TinyPortal and Gallery on my website, but the gallery uses the osx theme.

Bjørn

I aim for an internal gallery, just to keep everything controlled from SMF - makes life easy when upgrading  and just don't really need any special attention.

There are a lot of good scripts that I reckon could be integrated..but this was what made me start this from the beginning - not using several scripts, but having all in one place and using the SMF theme system to make it look like you want. The TP modules will have their own template, like the frontpage or tpadmin section  ones, and I think its easier to maintain/expand/customise those because you only need to learn one system - SMF.

Miraenda

I would prefer to see Gallery as part of TP as is currently planned.  The major issue of having the theme look the same for the whole site when you have a CMS, forum, and Gallery happens constantly.  TP offers all of the site including a Gallery (once it is included) having the same theme.  If a person makes a TP compatible theme, then their whole site will be one cohesive theme, which will not require having to mod a bunch of areas to have them all look the same.

Currently, I have a couple of Mambo + SMF sites, and a lot of others use Mambo + SMF + Coppermine sites, and we are always having to battle the differences between each of those systems to make the entire site appear to have the same theme. Thus, I definitely prefer for TP to have a gallery included with it as then any TP compatible theme will have that Gallery look exactly like it should, so I will not have to fool around getting a bunch of stuff for it to work with it. Even a separate mod Gallery would require more work to get it working in other themes than having the Gallery part of TP. 

Just my take on the idea, so I think it is great Bloc will have a Gallery with TP :)

graffixjones

I know this is resurrecting a long-dead thread (well, at least a month or so dead), but integrating themes between G2 and TP/SMF really isn't that hard (if G2 is embedded).ÂÃ,  All you have to do is copy the gallery2 stylesheet into the TP/SMF stylesheet and do a bit of editing... sometimes it's nothing more than adding the class name to an existing TP/SMF class, so that it takes on the same characteristics.
I'm glad that Oldiesmann is working on a G2/SMF/TP integration project, but I'm also interested to see what Bloc comes up with for a gallery.

gerrymo

I installered Gallery2 into the SMF directory as I read on another site. I dont know if what caused the problem, but the copyrights vanished from the page and messed the whole site up. It was SMF 1.1B3, TP 0.74 and Gallery2.

So I'm with Bloc on this, best to have one built into the system we are using, and no rely on outside updates, support, etc.

(No disrespect the the writers of the other galleries meant).