TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 06:21:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,178
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 77
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 58
  • Total: 58

Homepage Idea...

Started by Xarcell, January 09, 2006, 11:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xarcell

Bloc talked a bit about making a member management feature in TP with somewhat of an extended  profile.

That would be nice, but I would like to see something  of a member "homepage" type profile. I'm gonna have a hard time explaning what I see, but I'll do the best I can.

Roughly...

A page that has a section in which the user can write in HTML code and CSS code to have control of the looks & layout of thier homepage. Like in the reply forum, you can click on buttons to insert certain php code such has SSI functions etc. This php code would be for inserting your PM link, post count, latest posts, membergroup, show avatar, whatever...

or...

A more simple way would be to allow a user to create thier hompage by selecting a predefined layout (template I guess) with the php code already inserted for user info somewhere within the template. Like PM, post count, etc. Then allow the user to alter the stylesheet for it. That would be safer. A viewer wouldn't see anything except what is in the theme, so the rest of the TP website wouldn't be present.

In the SMF profile add a link to "edit hompage" so this can be done. Homepage and profile wouldn't be teh same thing. User's could say "Look at my homepage over at Tinyportal". User's could have custom homepage's avialiable at multiple TP sites.

Of course, you have a very thin banner at the top of all homepage showing a horizontal link tree of the TP site. That way viewers can find thier way back.

-Xarcell

Xarcell

If you would liek a sketch to try and get a better understanding of what I'm talking about, let me know.

-Xarcell, off to work.

borgBOB

This sounds like a very interesting concept, I can also see the ability to add bookmarks,(to Forum Posts/articles) being available on a home page. And perhaps a private article function where a user could post notes/HTML/ with the new text editor.

Although I am not sure if this would have the broad appeal to be included in TP.

And it is much larger than a code snippet. Perhaps a mod to the mod?

G6Cad

Perhaps in dumb now, But as i understand this, Aint it just like a type of BLOGG ?

I have seen a lot of forums that have this Xarcells saying, But itÂÃ,´s more like a blog within the forum they have their personal space in. They can alter the looks and feels at their blogg, even if itÂÃ,´s withing a communityforum.

Cant remember the name of the place i saw have this, But the blogg within the forum community was fully costumised for the user, Template of their choice (thought it was like 20 diffrent to choose from) and align left right, what font to use, inser images with more.

I will see if i can find the link to that community again and post it here.
But it was like i understand Xarcell pointing to.

Hope im not totally gone with what he mean now :)

ED.
Found it. http://www.finelady68.blogspot.com/

This one is a swe girl writing, But the linktree at the left is from the community, But the text, images, layout are made by her within that community (Bloggspot)

Xarcell

No not a blog.... Just one page...

Xarcell

I would rather see a blog, but I don't think it's gonna happen anytime soon. At least not within the next year.

I was asking for something kinda like a myspace profile. Just one little page with everything on it.

Xarcell

I've been trying to use TP/SMF like a blog with all the other cool stuff it offers, but it ain't working out so far. I miss my wordpress...

Anyways, I'd like to see a blog feature offered like what mkportal has. Where user's can create thier own blogs. But that's another topic...

Anyways, blogs are the hottest thing on the net right now. It's what everyone wants.

G6Cad

And streaming radio :)

have one on my site now :)

firefly

Quote from: Xarcell on January 16, 2006, 03:05:44 PM
I would rather see a blog, but I don't think it's gonna happen anytime soon. At least not within the next year.

I was asking for something kinda like a myspace profile. Just one little page with everything on it.

Yes, that's exactly what brought me to this thread and not only do I agree with you, Xarcell, I think that I'm going to have to insist upon it. SMF is very smart forum software, TP lifts it up into the realm of community and communities are built around people. In portal terms, that necessitates a homepage for each user. The Profile page is a great start, but to do the job of a homepage, must allow more user data and input.

For user input, the minimum would be an ability to add an area of text/html, as this would allow user to add links, images and text.

A homepage is also where the 'User' info block should appear.

As for a weblog module, that would also be great. Now that systems such as Coppermine and Arcade integrate with TP, I look forward to the time when a standalone blogging system is also integrated with TP, assuming that this would require less work than creating one specifically for TP.

Looking at my site as it is now, it is content-orientated: however, it should revolve around the user, then the content created by the user and the user's relationships with other users. Without a user homepage, in my opinion, this type of site is destined for the history book of great web ideas, but user failures.

My insistence therefore understates the case by a considerable margin, for it is user demand - as demonstrated by Myspace - which is insistent. In my view, an html/text input area would, as a start, have profound and good consequences.

bloc

I am actually quite keen on a "blog" area/section for TP, since the article system now is so versatile(lookwise) and will also have bbc-code option + permissions + comments in it, that using that system for specifically "user-categories"=blogs would be viable.

But what need to be present for a blog in a portal - to be any good?