TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:12:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,173
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 120
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 118
  • Total: 118

Typing in the SMF has changed!

Started by anyoldcard, June 03, 2010, 09:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyoldcard

Let me see if I can explain where you will understand. A good while back this changed took place during one of the upgrades and this is enuff to make me almost changeover to PHPBB or one of the other forums. I set up a PHPBB but man it was like being on a merry-go-round.

While typing, when you reach a full square (which i almost always do), the box starts jumping. You cannot tell what you are typing and to check spelling you must stop and scroll back to the bottom and re-read and then start again, the whole time with the text box jumping.

The only reason I can figure no one has said anything is because it must be a major change or a change in an upgrade had to be made to gain something else. So its the jumping or going back to the old setup which must have been risky or something.

Does anyone else have this problem only with SMF/Tiny Portal? I am not sure it does it with just a stand alone SMF but I think it does.

lurkalot

SMF has done this for ages, go search their site and you'll find various reports on this. ;)

If using IE8 switching to compatibility mode sometimes stops it happening.

anyoldcard

I have tried the compatibilty mode without success. I usually just write the long winded posts in notepad, then copy/paste. Thanks for the reply Lurksalot. I wonder if TP themes has a partner program?

IchBin

Does this happen on only one browser for you? I have never seen this problem since I had a particular version of FF a couple of years ago. Since then, I have not seen it. I don't use IE, but testing it does not show me anything.

lurkalot

Search for text jumping over at www.simplemachines.org/

should return three pages relevant to this problem.  ;)

If I remember correctly this started happening since version SMF 1.1.8 or SMF 1.1.9

Chair

Use Google Chrome. It gives you the option to resize text boxes (so you can make them bigger) simply by dragging the bottom-right corner. It should stop the annoying text jumping ;-)

anyoldcard

I build web sites and install forums for clients and 75% of all clients use IE so it does not solve my problem to change browsers. I also have FF installed but it does the same thing and I thought Chrome was found to be unsecure and I am sure they have plugged the holes by now but still only a very small percentage of people use Chrome or FF.

Chair

Hmmm, well, SMF will probably fix it by 2.0

but isnt it possible to create a mod that prevents it? :\

anyoldcard

Yes I suppose. I figured they will try to correct it in a future version also.

lurkalot

Quote from: Chair on June 05, 2010, 06:44:37 AM
Hmmm, well, SMF will probably fix it by 2.0

but isnt it possible to create a mod that prevents it? :\

There was a fix for this by adding a emulate IE7 meta tag.  Microsoft then released a windows update that for some reason broke the fix.  ::)

I remember posting about it here http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=353189.0