TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 05:04:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 183
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 66
  • Total: 67
  • @rjen

New Name

Started by Retell, February 21, 2005, 09:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retell

Hmm now that i think about it, tiny portal, seems to be taking over every aspect of my Forum, maybe you should change the name to Portal Bloc Or Bloc Portal or somthing cleaver like that.

Retell ;)

Bjørn

Retell

Im serious, if it where to keep it's name, you should at least be able to use any theme without modifcation.

:P

Bjørn

The aspect of making every theme work is difficult - MKPortal does that, but then again thats a separate script trodding along with SMF.

I think the TinyPortal name is fitting because it will never be a stand-alone , like MKportal or Mambo. It will alwyas be tied with SMF. For now it works with default SMF theme - and my themes(some of them), therefore it might as well be named Blocs Portal or something...(..) I can agreed on that, but the modifications you need to make for other themes to work, is not huge. And its only one file that needs some extra html tables and of course the included TP files.

I think by doing this manually, you can also tailor it a bit to the chosen theme... for instance the left blocls could be under a sidebar - like one theme of AMA where its a sidebar for the menu..the left bar could go under there instead of outside that again. In my Simplicity theme I will make the blocks go under the things on sides already there...

So the name stays - for now. ;)

NightOwl

Yeah. Programming is always tend to be simple and tight which can avoids in-compatable between mods and themes. This greatly affects my views on PhPBB2 since it becomes out of control when mod and theme makers aren't considered about compactibilty and give most user a hard time with struggling. I've fail to restored a hugh database of PhPBB caused by the modification of a theme, since the SQL are modified.
That's how I try to switch to SMF.

Sorry, off topic.