TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 03:08:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,176
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 127
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 92
  • Total: 92

A couple requests for a future version

Started by tossican, July 30, 2007, 02:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tossican

Howdy!

I am working on a rather complex project right now and it has introduced a few things which have prompted me to drop in some requests here. I apologize in advance if I'm repeating someone else's request.

Firstly, I'd like to see a separation between what a block is called on the block manager, and what it's title is ... for instance, I'd love to name blocks like "Guest - Welcome" and "Member - Welcome" (Each displaying a different article tailored appropriately), while having both block's heading read "Welcome" to visitors.

Secondly, I'd like to see multi-lingual support for block titles. (As apposed to making separate blocks for each language)

And lastly ... I'd like to see an option to specify a specific board for the "Recent Posts Block" (as apposed to it showing the recent from all boards)

-- Tossi

IchBin

All the requests you have are already implemented into TP 0.9.8 If you look at the block in the block manager you can change the title as well as add additional language titles for the block.

IchBin

All the requests you have are already implemented into TP 0.9.8 If you look at the block in the block manager you can change the title as well as add additional language titles for the block.

Additionally you can also pick the board in which you want to show the block.

tossican

IchBin,

I am afraid you have misunderstood my meanings. I will try to explain better, and this time, use some example pictures. :)

Block Editor:

Block Manager:

Block on Front Page:

Req 1) Note how 'Name' ("Recent") is displayed in Block Manager, yet Title ("Recent Announcements") is displayed as the block title on the Front Page.... This would allow us to "Name" blocks something useful (to us admins), while being different then the "Title" displayed on the block when visitors view them.

Req 3) Note the drop down selector called "From Board" ... Thus allowing us to select which board the recent posts are coming from... I know there are plenty of Code snippets out there that basically do this already, but I think it would be a nice addition to the already in-built 'recent box' type. ... Also, Bloc already has the code in TP to do this. (Admin > TP Settings > Front Page > Show forum-posts...) ... I suggest just moving that to the recent block. Thus allowing us to position this content anywhere on the site we wish. Not just before or after the top blocks.

Req 2) Multilingual titles....

Note how I used a $txt[] variable as the 'Title' ... The idea would be that this triggers TP to use the corresponding text from the applicable language file. Thus allowing us to have a single block, of which the title changes according to the viewer's language.

I hope my suggestions make more sense now :)

-- Tossi

tossican

I just realized I haven't updated my signature in a while, and this likely added to your confusion .. I am using SMF 1.1.3, with TP 0.983 and my current project is using a heavily customized "Omega TP" theme. With lots and lots of custom actions, templates, and the like.

-- Tossi

TristanX

I love this mod and it's great.

I would love these features to be implemented.

"root" website = just a few files that starts up tinyportal
"root" website/"smf folder"/index.php = forum directory

Thanks for reading.

bloc

tossican:
I like the idea for recent posts block. But having it like that will rule out all recent topics. So a option will have to be added there to either use all boards - or just one.

TristanX:
Currently no plans are made to put any TP files outside of the "forum" folder - or the folder SMF/TP is installed in. But in TP 1.0 a new option for articles is added that will let you make an article without any of the theme code, a "blank" which you can then make just like normal html page with body tags and all. Thus creating effectively a separate "splash" page. Only thing present will be the copyright on the bottom, which must stay.

tossican

Wow! .. I got a reply from the man himself!  .... I feel so special now!    :D .. Thanks for taking the time to comment.. and keep up the awesome work!

That is a good point you make ... hmmm ... Well, adding an 'all boards' to the drop down wouldn't be too tricky ...  But if you wanted to go like all out, and just make it blow your mind good .. you could make it a multi-select ;) .. Tho that might be tricky to fit into the current layout.

-- Tossi

bloc

Multi-select boards? That could be done, with for example upshrinkable areas and checkboxes like current search (advanced) in SMF does it.

Xarcell

@ tossican

I can assure you that TP 1.0 will blow your mind. Bloc's work on it has guaranteed it.

TP 1.0 can do so much more than .98, that's it's unreal. I should stop rambling though, gotta stay outta trouble and not overhype it.