TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 09:55:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,175
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 177
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 131
  • Total: 132
  • @rjen

Layout and Download Manager?

Started by Eddy Matthews, February 20, 2009, 09:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddy Matthews

I've been using MKPortal for quite some time, but it's so full of holes and security issues that it's time to look at replacing it!

I cannot just install TP and try it as it would mean a LOT of changes first to get rid of MKPortal, so I have a few questions that I hope can be answered?

First, is it possible to have the menu buttons "Home", "Forum", "Articles" etc placed vertically on the left of the screen rather than across the top as most people seem to use?

Secondly, will the Download Manager allow me to upload files via FTP and then import them? The reason I ask is that my Host has a 4Mb limit on uploads via a PHP script and they won't change that setting.

The setup I need has a header bar, like the TinyPortal Community Forums header above, all the various buttons down the left hand side of the screen, and the forum, photo gallery etc etc to open on the right side of the screen - All of the time the header should be visible... I hope that makes sense?

A quick visit to my website at http://www.paddleducks.co.uk will show the setup I'd like to achieve....

Regards
Eddy

Eddy Matthews

Oh one more question I forgot - Will the Download Manager allow "guests" to view the files, but NOT download them?

Regards
Eddy

IchBin

You should install SMF/TP in a test install to make sure it can do all that you are wondering. TP does not allow guests to view downloads but not download them at this time. The rest of your questions seem do-able by me. The menu in the top is part of the SMF theme, and I would say 99.9% of all SMF's themes have them. So you would have to alter the theme header to do what you want. The rest are TP options I think.

G6Cad

You could add your links in a side block ( menu block ) to

I have it that way on my site so i dont have to add button code for every theme i want to use on the site. www.familjegodis.se  look in the top right side panel block. I only have 3 links there, now, but the options to add more is simple.

QuoteSecondly, will the Download Manager allow me to upload files via FTP and then import them? The reason I ask is that my Host has a 4Mb limit on uploads via a PHP script and they won't change that setting.

Yes, simply import them to the download manager through an easy administration.

The setup I need has a header bar, like the TinyPortal Community Forums header above, all the various buttons down the left hand side of the screen, and the forum, photo gallery etc etc to open on the right side of the screen - All of the time the header should be visible... I hope that makes sense?

Top and bottom, and even left and right side can be turned off and on for diffrent actions, so the answer is yes here to.

I also say a testsite to test things on first is the best way to start, and alsolearn and play with before you go the full way to change your entire site.

Xarcell

I believe everything you ask can be done. You can use the menu-manager or create your own and add it to HTML block, or use php and use permissions with the links.

As IchBin says, currently a guest cannot browse downloads, but not download. This is a feature that has been requested and approved. Eventually TP will allow guest browsing in the downloads without downloading. Hopefully by the next update.

Eddy Matthews

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it!

So I can simply create a menu block and put the buttons/menu items where I want, without having to use a special theme? I want to stick with the default SMF theme for ease of use!

Importing large files uploaded by FTP is easy, yes?

And finally, if I setup a test TinyPortal and SMF, in a directory called SMFTEST for example, can I simply move files into my active setup to go live? Assuming my live setup is in a directory called SMF, or do I have to start again from scratch? It's not a huge issue, I just want to know where I stand....

Regards
Eddy

Xarcell

You could move the files, but if your not experienced at doing it I don't recommend it because it could require some tweaking to get it working properly.

In TP, it comes with a menu-manager. It allows you to add links to a block. The best way to really understand what I'm talking about is to set-up a test site and play with it. I believe TP has alot more flexiablity then MKPortal, which I left a long time ago.

Eddy Matthews

I've setup a test forum/portal, but I'm having real problems with the editor for the creation of blocks etc - I can type everything into it without problems, but as soon as I hit "Save" everything vanishes!

I've tried dozens of times, but each time it's the same thing.....

Is this a known bug? Is there a fix for it? Am I doing something wrong?

HELP!!!

Regards
Eddy

IchBin

Have you tried different block types to see if you get the same result? If it doesn't work for you, you may want to go through the manual install to make sure everything is done on the install.

How do I manually install TinyPortal

If that still doesn't work for you, then I would suggest you turn off the editor in your profile to see if you can save a block without it.