TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:43:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,173
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 130
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 107
  • Total: 108
  • @rjen

Using some unicode symbols result in error message when saving articles...?

Started by PoML, July 26, 2023, 03:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoML

I tried to create a tips & tricks article on my forum, and though it was a good idea to use unicode symbols for profile, questions etc.
By trial and error, I have found that some symbols seem to make tinyportal editor choke on saving, in particular:

🔐  (padlock)
⚙️  (cogwheel)
👦  (face)
📧  (email)
📱   (phone)

With these symbols, I always get a pretty bad looking error and being unable to save: 
"Database error!
Incorrect string value: '\xF0\x9F\x94\x90Fil: /customers/c/c/a/c5jnzrz36/webroots/r538174/medlemmer/forum/TinyPortal/Base.php
Linje: 285"

Strange then that putting it in a regular forum post like this seems to work flawlessly?
I tested also entering those characters using the view/edit code function, which resulted in my text being copied multiple times in, seeming like a real database problem.

PS:  tested now to replace those 4 characters with the corresponding HTML entities, like 📱...  That works fine, unless I try to edit it again as the editor has then made them back into the entities it chokes over...

PoML

With the calendar block also having an issue with unicode letters - maybe this is a common bugfix for ver 3.0.0 ?

@rjen

Running Latest TP on SMF2.1 at: www.fjr-club.nl

PoML

In the calendar block, it creates the days but display of letter 'ø' does not work:
(link to report for that https://www.tinyportal.net/index.php?topic=36866.msg303510#msg303510  - I got a reply there, but the weekdays seem to be created from the locale rather than being a list)

@rjen

@rjen

Okay, it seems that the mini calendar code somehow borks it up when it is set to show 2 characters per day..

If I set the day length in the blockcode to 3 it shows the characters correctly.
$day_name_length = 3;

You cannot view this attachment.

but when it is set to 2 it doesn not;
$day_name_length = 2;

You cannot view this attachment.

@tino this is a bit out of my comfort zone. It is happening in this code.
Any tips?

//if day_name_length is >3, the full name of the day will be printed
foreach($day_names as $d)
$calendar .= '<th class="smalltext" abbr="'.htmlentities($d).'" style="padding: 4px 2px;">'.htmlentities($day_name_length < 4 ? substr($d,0,$day_name_length) : $d).'</th>';

$calendar .= "</tr>\n<tr style=\"text-align:right;\">";
}

@rjen

Okay, I got it...

in the blockcode, change this line

$calendar .= '<th class="smalltext" abbr="'.htmlentities($d).'" style="padding: 4px 2px;">'.htmlentities($day_name_length < 4 ? substr($d,0,$day_name_length) : $d).'</th>';
to
$calendar .= '<th class="smalltext" abbr="'.htmlentities($d).'" style="padding: 4px 2px;">'.htmlentities($day_name_length < 4 ? mb_substr($d,0,$day_name_length) : $d).'</th>';

@rjen

@tino this raised another question: should we consider replacing the use of substr to mb_substr throughout the code base?

tino

Quote from: @rjen on January 15, 2024, 09:08:22 PM@tino this raised another question: should we consider replacing the use of substr to mb_substr throughout the code base?

I think in Utils there is a substr that tries mb_ and if it doesn't exist used substr we should use that really as mb_ might not be installed

PoML

Quote from: @rjen on January 15, 2024, 09:02:37 PMOkay, I got it...

Thanks!
That worked!

Back to the original topic - could the mb_substr be the cause of saving Articles with unicode symbols as well?
I tried saving an article with an 📧  (email) 📱   (phone) symbols, and got the same error:
Database Error
Incorrect string value: '\xF0\x9F\x94\x90&n...' for column `c5jnzrz36_db538176`.`smf_tp_articles`.`body` at row 1
File: /customers/c/c/a/c5jnzrz36/webroots/r538174/medlemmer/forum/TinyPortal/Base.php
Line: 285

(and to reply to my own question; no those seem unrelated)

@rjen

Quote from: PoML on January 16, 2024, 03:38:11 PMBack to the original topic - could the mb_substr be the cause of saving Articles with unicode symbols as well?
I tried saving an article with an 📧  (email) 📱   (phone) symbols, and got the same error:
Database Error
Incorrect string value: '\xF0\x9F\x94\x90&n...' for column `c5jnzrz36_db538176`.`smf_tp_articles`.`body` at row 1
File: /customers/c/c/a/c5jnzrz36/webroots/r538174/medlemmer/forum/TinyPortal/Base.php
Line: 285

(and to reply to my own question; no those seem unrelated)

Yep complete different topic. It seems that it should work if your database collation is utf8mb4_general_ci, which it is probably not.
I read somewhere that SMF has some sort of trick to deal with it, which explains why it is not a problem in posts.

I have no clue what that trick is, so I cannot help with that...