TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 09:48:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,178
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 127
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online

Database fields ??

Started by Hankster, July 01, 2005, 08:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hankster

Hey Bloc or anyone,

It's me again!! :uglystupid2: The 51 year old, just learning how to post. Anyway, I've rented some webb space and up-loaded SMF. I'm setting the data base and it wants to know how many fields.. :knuppel2: Don't have a clue as to what that means, but anyone know how many I should put ?? Looks dangerous to me. :) Thanks for any help out there..

Nokonium

??? Not sure why. Some servers require you to have a table installed (via your control panel) 'test' usually suffices.

To install SMF you need a server that will run scripts, CGI & SSI's etc and have access to a database. Ordinary webspace does not have this.

To install SMF you first upload the files from the install files i.e. http://www.simplemachines.org/download.php/smf_1-0-5_install.zip, with an FTP program, to your webspace. Then with your browser go to your webspace, enter 'your webspace URL/install.php' and hit enter. You will then be asked to enter in the form the information supplied by your ISP. Follow the instructions and you will have a forum.

To install TinyPortal you will need to use the package manager and upload the mod from your oun PC.

Bjørn

Just want to add that normally you don't even have to type "install.php"..SMF figures it out for itself. Clever ain't it? :)

It would seem the database is there (since youa re asked to supply at least one table)..and then most likely PHP too..and thats enough to run SMF.

One important thing ( that SMF also will tell you on the way) is to make some folder and 2-3 files writable. They are not by default -> security. So you either supply ftp info to SMF and it does the job for you, or make them writable yourself. This mostly is needed on UNIX servers. And sometimes SMF can't do it either, even with supplied ftp info, then you HAVE to do it manually through the ftp program.

Hankster

Thanks Bloc,
  I told Go-Daddy that I needed webb space for a Bulletin Board..They said it was fine, it should work.I'm trying to set-up the data base requirements for this site and it says there is no tables found in database.. Then it ask to create a new table( give it a name) and how many fields.
  I beleave this is nessary because when I go to (/forum/install.php) at the bottom of the page of the set-up for SMF it ask for MySQL table prefix...
  I'm just wondering, How many Feilds to create ? :idiot2: 

Bjørn

As nokonium said, just 1 field , name it "testfield" or something - and name the table "test". Then go ahead with SMF install again, you should have the database name then. :)

I think its necessary to create one table in order to activate the database - which won't be used for anyhting though.

Hankster

Thanks Men,
  I didn't understand that nokonium was suggesting to use 1 table. Now I guess I need to learn to read. Lets see what else I can screw-up !! Thanks again !! :laugh:

IchBin

Maybe that is the case with the new beta version. But previously I have not had to have any tables for SMF to install.

Hankster

O.K. Men,
  It was'nt a would record install, but here it is http://www.hankster.name/forum/

Ichbin...I never installed the tables on the server side. I went ahead and followed the SMF install instructions and I think it worked !! Before I finished the install, I was given a check box to automaticlly deleat the install part of the program. I used the FTP software to look through the directerys of folders for the install script and did not see it..That does'nt mean its not there, after all what do I know ?? :idiot2:

Bloc....If, I never wanted anyone to use avaitars, could I just delete the folder Avaitars ? I could go on for hours asking questions, But I guess I'll start reading up on how to install tiny portal themes. Anyway, you got another beta tester..

IchBin

You can disable avatars in the configuration of the forum.

Bjørn

Noted. Look for a extra board to see the portal script now.

As IchBin says, you can just turn the avatar function off. I think its in "admin / Edit Features and Options / avatars"

Hankster

Hey Anyone,
   Whats the name of the extra board ?For bata testers ? I've found one zip file for Tiny Portal, but I think its an old release..

ontap

Quote from: Hankster on July 02, 2005, 07:31:07 PM
Whats the name of the extra board ?For bata testers ? I've found one zip file for Tiny Portal, but I think its an old release..

"Beta testing"... you need to be added to the group first to be able to view it

Hankster

Thanks Ontap,
    I found it !!  I was'nt sure that was the place to get the newest release !!