TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 07:38:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,178
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 106
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 57
  • Total: 57

Advanced Shout Box dl link?

Started by americangothic, February 24, 2009, 04:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

americangothic

OK, I'll uninstall TP and reinstall using the manual method, and then see if I can get that sb to work.

Ken.

This link will take you to the manual uninstall procedure should you need that.
http://docs.tinyportal.co.uk/index.php/topic,146.html

As for the manual install process; while at first glance it may look a bit difficult, it's really easy to do and it is a great way to learn a little about how the files look and work together... a little reading and working now for a much easier tomorrow. :)
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

americangothic

OK, stumped already... step 2 says: "2. upload these files with a FTP program (filezilla) to the install folder of the SMF install,"

SMF has already been installed, and there is no "install" folder any longer. Where do I up the files to then?

Kimmen

Probably the folder smf is in? SMF innstal file, is not a folder.

Ken.

Quote from: americangothic on February 24, 2009, 06:42:09 PM
OK, stumped already... step 2 says: "2. upload these files with a FTP program (filezilla) to the install folder of the SMF install,"

SMF has already been installed, and there is no "install" folder any longer. Where do I up the files to then?
It is saying that you upload the files to the same folder where you installed SMF on you server... in your ftp utility it will look something like; "/public_html/tptest2"  (that's my test site.)

Here is a little how-to that you may find useful:
QuoteDoing a manual install of TinyPortal is easy to do, you just need to follow the directions found in the Manual Install File Modifications Guide.
Take your time and read carefully as you go and it will work well.

Here's how to safely do file edits:
FileZilla
One of the better ftp utilities and it's free.
It's the only one I use.

And you'll need a good editor, here is a nice free one:
Notepad++

Any time you do anything to your forum there is one thing that you should make part of your routine, like:

Backup... Backup... Backup!

When editing a file I generally do this;

• Make a temp folder on my desktop...
  • Open the site with the FileZilla FTP utility...
  • Download a copy of the file in question and place it in the temp folder...
  • Then download a fresh copy into my editor and edit away...
  • Go back to the site and rename the existing online copy of the file to something else, like, old_filename.php...
  • Then upload the edited version of the file.
When doing several files I wait until all of them have been edited so that they can all be uploaded at the same time.

If everything is OK then I'm finished.
If its all messed up I just delete the bad file that was uploaded, rename the good one to the correct file name and the forum is back to normal.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

americangothic

I guess I was taking it too literally: "install" folder, hehe. I am trying to make damn sure I do nothing wrong this time because I am sick to death of this web site already (my client, not TP).

Zetan

americangothic

Can't get to manually install properly either. I keep getting this error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ELSE in /home/acct/public_html/Sources/QueryString.php on line 458

I tried re-doing the mods to that file but to no avail.

americangothic

OK, I give up, no matter how TP is installed the SB will not show up in any position I tell it to. As a matter of fact, no new module, panel or block shows up either.

Any admin feel like looking at it?