TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 11:23:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,175
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 177
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 123
  • Total: 123

The poor Swedish language files

Started by denniso, February 02, 2007, 08:19:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

denniso

Hi all!

I've tried to download the swedish (UTF-8) language files for more than 2 weeks now. The zip file is corrupt and I have asked G6â„¢ to fix the problem. Meanwhile I've been trying to use the non UTF-8 ones while waiting.  However the non UTF-8 files the swedish letters "åäö" have been replaced by questionmarks stopping me from converting them into UTF-8.

No offence but to be really honest ... the current translation is not good, in fact it's really bad work and I belive it's passed a few languages before reaching the swedish translation or is it a machine translation?

The grammar is wrong and they have even invented new words like "nyliga" probably meaning "newly".

The semantics should match the one used in SMF.

So what do we do? The language files are useless. I suggest to retranslate them from the original language in a more "professional" way.

I'm willing to do the job if you consider the work to be the official swedish translation. Otherwise the work will be wasted next version.

G6Cad

First off.
I havent been able to be online for diffrent reasons you can read about in the forum.
To day im online some, but im in the middle of moving to a new home to day so it will be limited time online even to day.
After that i wont be able until i can get the founding to buy a used PC to use at home as i dont have a PC of my own.

Second.
I think you mix up the translations from Swe SMF and SWE TP, the word you think are "made" by me "newlsy" Nyliga" is not translated by me in TP, it's translated by Daniel Hofberg in SMF forum, one of Swedens best translator in works, he does translations for a living, so if you have complains about his work, please contact him on the Swedish board on Simplemachines.org

Third.
The utf8 translation is broken yes, I have stated this to the admins, and they alone, are the ones that can remove it.
I have made the new translation for TP V.098 (dont know if it's even released as i didnt took the time to check before i replied to you here and now. But that translation will work even in TP V.0971 to, so try to use that package instead.
I will convert it to utf8 when i have posted this answer and send it to the download section before i go offline again.

Hope this will give you the answers you seek, and im sorry for that i havent been able to even be online to help you, i have done the best i could with the time i had online so far.

denniso

Hi!

My intention is not to blame someone or to offend in any way.

However when I read the text in the swedish language files for TP there are numerous grammatic errors and strange expressions that you shouldn't use on a professional web site. Daniel Hofberg in SMF forum might be a good translator, I can not tell but I can tell for sure that there are more incorrect sentences than there are correct ones in the TP language files.

I could give many examples but the most obvious ones are the heavy use of "särskrivningar" (sorry for the swedish word). Where two words should be concatenated they are separated by a space. It looks really ugly to someone who speaks fluent swedish.

For example in swedish

$txt['whoall_forum'] = 'är på forumets översikts sida';

should be

$txt['whoall_forum'] = 'är på forumets översiktssida';

Further,the text
$txt['tp-dluploadfailure']='Uppladdningen kunde inte fortsätta. Detta kan bero på att filen gjorde timeout, eller att filen var för stor för vad inställningarna tillåter.<br /><br />Vänligen kontakta Administrator för mer information. ';

Should be ...
$txt['tp-dluploadfailure']='Uppladdningen avbröts. En möjlig orsak är att det tog för lång tid eller på grund av rådande storleksbegränsningar.<br /><br />Kontakta systemadministratören för mer information. ';

Generally I can say that the swedsih translation looks like it's made on a "word by word" basis without minding swedish grammar rules. That's why I was trying to figure out weather it was a machine translation or not. I'm sorry if I offend someone here, it's not my intention but even if someone did try to translate the files into swedish, I'm sorry to say it was a failure.

The truth is that the swedish language files for TP are more or less useless and it makes any board that uses them look really unprofessional. Sorry.

G6Cad

Im not offended.
I have somewhat followed the "way" of translation from Daniel Hofbergs way of translation.
However the translation is made string by string at the same time it's used in the forum so i saw where and what  and also how the text was used in the forum.

In some places, the swe translation is rater long in comparison of the English language, so it was hard to find a correct gramatic way to get the same meaning.

You are free to correct or change what ever strings you like to get this translation better then what it is to day :) We can start a topic in the scandinavian forum here to post the changes for updates or new translations.

Also, look at the translation for the SMF part and Daniel Hofberg way of "wording" and gramaticly place the strings in the forum, I tried to follow his to get a more over all looking and feeling swedish forum.

Another thing that made me not to put to much effort in some strings, are the fact that i know some of them will change in uppcomming versions of TP and also that Daniel is working on a compleate makeover for the translation for the Swedish SMF 1.1.1 release. And to make both TP and SMF blend together better, and the fact that TP is still in Beta stage, the translation is more or less made basicly to understand the features more then a thought through final one.
So any help on translation from now on will be both great and helpful in all aspects :)

bloc

The part of utf-8 is my error - I am sorry for that. I am going to remove the faulty version.

Men for å konkludere..jeg forstår det slik at dere snakker svensk begge to, så det hadde vært en ide å diskutere oversettelsen i skandinaviske delen av forumet her. G6 har rett i at ting forandrer seg, men forhåpentligvis vil TP 1.0 være den "endelige" versjonen.

G6Cad

:o   You are right Bloc.

Flyttar topicen till Scandinavian forumet  :2funny:

denniso

Quote from: G6â„¢ on February 02, 2007, 10:44:16 AM
So any help on translation from now on will be both great and helpful in all aspects :)

Hej!
Jag ska göra en ny översättning direkt från dom engelska språkfilerna. Jag ska göra mitt bästa försök att göra dom både språkligt riktiga men samtidigt så kortfattade som möjligt. Jag ska försöka använda samma terminologi som på SMF förutsatt att det är korrekt svenska.

Jag återkommer om några dagar! Jag önskar en trevlig helg!

G6Cad

Detsamma, och tack för all hjälp med detta :)